Fight For Your Dreams

Last Friday, we watched Bread and Roses, a movie that depicted the lives of immigrant workers and the difficulties that they had to go through. Not only had the workers had to go through bad treatment at work, but they also had extremely low wages. Seeing this movie has made me a lot appreciative of my own personal experiences given the opportunities I have with higher education and at the same time made me realize how difficult it really is for people who do not have these chances.

In addition, it was kind of like revisiting all of the history that I’ve learned throughout the years. Sam, one of the protagonists in the movie, helped the social workers to create a movement in order to raise awareness and wages to the janitors. I think this summarizes a lot of what unfair workers have to go through. They’re often too unaware of the change that can happen and they assume that being treated without respect is the way to go because they do not have the education or advantage that everyone else has. They simply take what they have for face value. The movie is a good reminder in that it takes time to improve one’s environment and as long as people are willing to put in the effort and to take the risks, you will ultimately be recognized for your efforts.

One thought on “Fight For Your Dreams

1. It sounds like this movie had a message with a large impact. It is always interesting when something makes you look at your life and really appreciate every opportunity that you have been given. I have had a few moments that have had this affect on me. I think often times we get caught up in our own lives and what isn’t going exactly how we want it to that we forget to appreciate all of the good things.