Why Sell Coffee?

Last Wednesday, I attended the talk by Keith Lemnios about his company, Sun Coffee Roasters, which is the company that provides coffee to all of the dining halls here on campus. As a person who does not drink coffee, I did not know what to expect from the talk, but I actually found it to be really interesting and informative. What in particular interested me was the business approach the company had. Instead of focusing on the what that their company did (sell coffee), they focused on the why (to help coffee growers). Mr. Lemnios mentioned that people often buy products for the why, and not the what. For instance, many people insist on buying Apple products, even though there are plenty of alternatives. One of the main ways that Apple is different from those other products is that they market themselves as being a company that focuses on producing high quality products, regardless of what those products are. This idea interested me, since I feel like I would buy a product for the mission of the company, rather than just from any company. This is a way for consumers to show support for certain goals by spending money on products that they would have purchased anyway.

3 thoughts on “Why Sell Coffee?

1. I really like that the Sun Coffee Roasters focus on the Why of coffee. Coffee is often grown in developing countries and the way it is grown and traded has a large impact on the local areas. Our power as consumers in a rich country should not be underestimated as we can have a large effect on people in other countries.

2. Good summary. I agree. Start with why! that seemed to be the theme of the talk. Although this can be problematic if you dont know the “Why” of the company. Did you know sun roasters coffee had such a compelling “why” before this talk?

3. Hi Shannon,

Interesting idea from the lecturer that “why” is more important than “what” I’d be interested in seeing just how far this idea can be applied and what sort of marketing ideas govern this behavior. I sure can’t identify the “why” behind generic brands but I sure know that they take the stress off my wallet.