schizophrenia

It often seems that a generic explanation of schizophrenia is the symptom of seeing or hearing imaginary people. I always wondered how vivid such hallucinations were, as people who experience them must have a heavily distorted perception of what is and isn’t real. As I’m writing this, I’m wondering how cognizant of my symptoms I’d be if I were to develop schizophrenia. If someone were to walk in to my room right now and introduce himself as someone on my floor, I likely wouldn’t think twice of whether or not he was real. However, I can’t imagine that if this was a hallucination, it would be too realistic if it was the first time I was experiencing one. So maybe my mental state would’ve gradually gotten worse before I first experienced my imaginary floor-mate, enough so that I’d be convinced that he was real when I first met him.

I vaguely recall watching ‘A Beautiful Mind’ in one of my high school classes, so I remembered most of the scenes as I re-watched it. As I thought about the film and it’s depiction of Nash’s schizophrenia, I appreciated how his condition is revealed to the viewer as the people around him discover it. I can’t remember my reaction when I first watched it, but I wish I could re-experience my realization that Nash was hallucinating certain people in his life. As this revelation was unfolding, I had a feeling that I was watching some kind of psychological horror film. There wasn’t actually a horror element (beyond maybe the hallucinations), so I think the fact that these imaginary people and events seemed so real to Nash was what was slightly frightening.

3 thoughts on “schizophrenia

1. I agree with you that Nash’s schizophrenia must have been frightening. I was taught in a Psych class that schizophrenia can be caused by an abnormal level of dopamine in the brain. It’s a little alarming how a small irregularity in just one neurotransmitter can have such a big impact. I hope that one day we’ll understand the link between dopamine and schizophrenia better so that we can help those who have it.

2. I’m very curious to your perception of the film after a second viewing, as this is a film entirely based upon the “twist” of discovering that certain characters are only figments of Nash’s imagination. I intend to watch it again sometime so that I may specifically notate the points at which the characters enter in each part of the film. It is interesting, like you were saying, that this is one of those films that is entirely based on the first viewing. The moment one watches it, one will never be able to look at the story again without constantly thinking, “Those characters are made up, they’re not real!” So, the three characters who are proven to be imaginary are only real to the audience for their first viewing. This definitely changes how the film will be perceived upon watching it a second time.

3. Hi John,

I’m on the same boat when it comes to rewatching the film from high school. Some of the stuff is still there, but watching it again felt like a new experience all over again. I can agree with the “horror” aspect that you mentioned because it only takes a little bit of empathy to realize just how frightened Nash must have felt when realizing he was unable to distinguish between his thoughts and reality.