more options

“I feel my typewriters, my table, my chair to have that assurance of a solid world, where things take up space, where there is not the endless emptiness of insubstantial thought that leads to nowhere but itself.” – page 207

E. L. Doctorow

E. L. Doctorow“E.L. Doctorow’s work is published in over thirty languages. His novels include The March, Welcome to Hard Times, The Book of Daniel, Ragtime, Loon Lake, World’s Fair, Billy Bathgate, The Waterworks, and City of God. He has published two short story collections, Lives of the Poets and Sweet Land Stories, and three volumes of essays, the most recent of which is Creationists. Among his honors are the National Book Award, three National Book Critics Circle Awards, two PEN/Faulkner awards, the Edith Wharton Citation for Fiction, the the William Dean Howells medal of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and the presidentially conferred National Humanities Medal. He was shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize 2009 to honor a writer’s lifetime achievement in fiction. He lives in New York.”

–from the Random House Trade Paperback edition

Image credit:  Photo © Phillip Friedman

Further reading about E. L. Doctorow: