The Chocolette Maker (Colette Chen)

Yes, I actually love making chocolate!

NETSCAPE Navigator – Old School Style! (Week 3)

My first memory of using the web would be from my 3rd grade, after-school computer class in 1997.    Aside from using a drawing program once a week on these old apple computers, our teacher would also have us use Netscape Navigator to familiarize ourselves with the web.  (Sorry, Apple fans, but Apple computers were not nearly as fancy back then as they are now.)  I do not remember why we used this internet browser, but I do remember that the internet was rather slow, and that I was rather annoyed with the class.  I distinctly remember watching the Netscape Navigator icon (a ship’s steering wheel) turn for at least 30 seconds at the corner of the browser before I would be able to view a webpage.  Because I was very computer-shy  embarrassed of my incredibly slow, typing speed of about 15 WPM with the keyboard covered, I didn’t get to explore the internet much until 2 years later.

In 5th grade, my sister taught me how to register an email account with Yahoo Mail, as well as how to use Aol Instant Messenger (AIM).  Surprisingly, I am still using the same, silly email address, “pochacco_hip_pup” since Pochacco was my favorite cartoon character (See picture below).  Thinking back, I remember not knowing how to compose a new email, but getting around by replying to any email in my inbox, and editing the sender information as well as the content of the email.  Interestingly, I also remember my first time I offended someone online.  Because I was switching schools, I kept in email contact with my friend Jennifer, to whom I had last written, “How come you don’t email me anymore.”  It took me a while to understand why she might have become angry at me, but I eventually realized that she most likely misinterpreted my email as a letter of arrogance, rather than simply wanting to spend more time with her after school.  Again, I was very young at the time and didn’t realize that online communication could be taken out of context and interpreted in different ways.

Remarkably, frequently using AIM to chat with my friends in middle school increased my WPM dramatically.  According to a typing test I took today at http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php, for the purpose of this blog, my WPM is 112 with 99% accuracy!  Thanks to the internet as my preferred form of after-school communication during my middle school and high school years, I am now able to use the computer very efficiently!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 at 7:38 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 Responses to “NETSCAPE Navigator – Old School Style! (Week 3)”

1. cac396
    7:56 pm on February 9th, 2011      

Pretty solid post, and you can type very fast lol

2. djb296
    9:00 pm on February 9th, 2011      

Hey Colette,

I used Yahoo to create my first e-mail account, too! Go Yahoo! As for Netscape Navigator, what were they thinking making their icon a wheel to a ship? That must have been EXTREMELY annoying to watch, especially back in the good old dial up days. Don’t you think it would have been smarter for them to make their icon a plane or something, since it travels a lot faster than a boat? Perhaps, they were one of the few companies who tried to avoid false advertising? After all, a boat trip does take a WHILE, just like dial up!

–Dave

3. mkh46
    11:59 am on February 20th, 2011      

Great post! (Megan)

4. best diet pills
    10:10 pm on November 20th, 2011      

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!