Meet SHA Staff: Carla Crooker

Carla

Carla Crooker
Assistant Director of Admissions

Cornell University offers an incredible depth and breadth of education and experiences for its students.  I love being a part of that.  The diversity on campus always brings new experiences and perspectives—while I’m not a student, I’m always learning something new here.  Ithaca is a small town but the community at Cornell and at The School of Hotel Administration feels global.  There is an energy at SHA that permeates the halls of Statler.

I love working in admissions.  Having worked in the Hospitality industry and in Education separately for many years, this is the perfect blend of the two.  I have worked for amazing companies like USAir, Nordstrom and LLBean and have taught children from birth through middle school.  I enjoy my current role and being part of the process that brings students to this amazing place —Cornell and SHA and then on to the world of hospitality.

Best advice for prospective MMH candidate?  Be in touch with our admissions team.  Let us help you through the process and believe that you can do it.  Understand WHY you want to be a part of the program, your passion should come through in your conversations with the Admissions Team, faculty and alumni.

There are many memorable moments at MMH – a couple of my favorites—meeting a student I’ve worked with for a long time in person for the first time on campus at orientation – and I always love re-connecting with MMH alum after they’ve left the program.  The Hotelie bond runs deep!