The Changing of the Guards: MMH 2015 Has Arrived!

Summer in Ithaca means a lot of thing, and at Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration (SHA), it signifies a changing of the guard in the Masters of Management in Hospitality (MMH) program.  As of Saturday, May 25th the MMH class of 2014 officially completed their master’s degree and on Monday, May 27th the MMH class of 2015 started classes and formally began the journey towards our master’s degree.

So the torch has passed from MMH ’14 to MMH ’15! Luckily both classes spent the week leading up to graduation getting to know each other (MMH ’14 was decompressing and those of us in MMH ’15 were getting oriented), so it was an easy transition. As we continue settling in and taking their place, we wish MMH ’14 the best of luck and look forward to following their excellent example!

That being said, we are Cornell’s newest MMH class! Our class is comprised of 46 highly diverse individuals who represent 11 nations. The photo below is our first class photo, taken during the first week at outdoor orientation activity.

mmhgroup

Of the 46 MMH ’15-ers, the voices you’ll hear the most often are the four MMH ’15 Admission Communication Consultants: Brooke Clarkson, Maggie Lo, Owen Lu and Irene Ye. The following is a little bit of information about each of us:

Brooke R. Clarkson

Brooke head shot

Prior to joining the MMH program, I worked for Waterville Valley Resort, a 4-season ski resort in New Hampshire. I joined Waterville Valley in 2010 after graduating Suma Cum Laude from the Honors Program at the University of New Hampshire with a B.A in Psychology and English. I began my career in hospitality by joining the lodging sector of the resort, where I worked for 3 years. In 2013, I moved from my position as Front Desk Manager into the resort’s wedding division and became the Wedding Sales Manager of Waterville Valley Resort. In addition to my full-time roles, I also served as a Group Sales Associate and represented Waterville Valley Resort at promotions, ski shows and events. I plan to pursue a marketing concentration within the MMH program.

Maggie Lo

Maggie head shot

My passion in the hospitality industry grew from a love of entertaining and cooking for family and friends.  I graduated from University of California, Irvine with a B.A. in Psychology and Social Behavior in 2005 and decided to pursue my passion by attending Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in 2007.  Prior to joining MMH 2015, I was working at Panda Restaurant Group for 5 years.  My most important role came in 2012 when I became a mom to my daughter, Madison.  Recognizing the need for a loving support community as a new mom, I created “Oh Momma!” a Facebook group of moms who share stories, advice and support.  My goal after MMH is to continue expanding this network and create a mom-centric hospitality business back home in Pasadena, CA.  I am excited to share my journey with you as one of the blog contributors for MMH 2014-2015.

Gang Lu

Owen head shot

Appointed as Business Development Manager (China) November 2012, I have helped RateGain, one of the world leading travel and hospitality IT solution providers, to expand business robustly in mainland China and Taiwan and worked closely with such hotel groups as Marriott, Wyndham, Starwood, Interstate China and Regalia to meet their ever-growing demand for OTA revenue management. Before this role, I had worked in Jinjiang Inn for over 8 years. My positions within this Chinese economy hotel chain of 1000-plus hotels included President Secretary, Personal Assistant to Vice President Operations, Hotel Development Project Manager, hotel General Manager, Assistant Brand Standard Manager and finally Overseas Project Manager for the partnership with Louvre Hotels in France. I would like to pursue a career in the hospitality real estate or revenue management.

Irene Ye

Irene Ye

I spent 2 years working at LEOC Corporation, a major catering company in Tokyo where I was head of my department. In my previous role as Chief of Marketing Research, I was responsible for conducting feasibility research of restaurant development in the Hong Kong market. I have worked in several F&B positions including Operations, Purchasing and HR. I hold a B.A. from the Beijing Foreign Studies University and will continue my path in restaurant development and consulting. I am fluent in Japanese and Mandarin.

All four of us are so pleased to represent the MMH class of 2015 and Cornell’s MMH Admissions Department in our role as MMH Admissions Communication Consultants. Please feel free to reach out to us if you ever have questions.  You can always get in touch with us via email at MMH@Cornell.edu. Also look for us on our other social media outlets: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!