Advanced Placement, Liberal Studies, and Foreign Languages

  • It is not necessary to find an equivalent Cornell course to receive posted AP credit for liberal studies.  For example, if you have HIST 1530 AP credit posted for 4 credits on your transcript, this will fulfill a liberal studies requirement.  In this case, this history AP credit will satisfy a 1000-level HA category.  College of Engineering students need a minimum of 18 credits, with 2 courses at a 2000+ level.
  • AP credit for liberal studies will fulfill a 1000-level requirement.
  • Foreign languages will fulfill the FL category–AP credit typically for foreign languages are usually at the 1000-level.  For department exam placement of specific foreign languages, e.g., Chinese or Korean, may satisfy the 2000-level requirement.
  • For additional liberal studies information:
  • In addition to consulting the above link for liberal studies,  you may also access descriptions in the Courses of Study for categories:   GOVT 1111 – Introduction to American Government and Politics     (SBA)  

How to Transfer Courses Taken at Another Institution This Summer (or during Winter Break) (repost)

You are strongly encouraged to seek pre-approval for any courses taken elsewhere.  Only courses taken at Cornell are included in your g.p.a.

1. Liberal Studies courses are fairly easy to transfer from an accredited institution (including community colleges and online courses).  Courses which reflect similar topics of the College’s designated liberal studies courses (exact equivalent content is not necessary) are typically approved.

Consult for updated approved and denied liberal studies courses:

When you have found a similar topic you would like to take and transfer, for example, a history or economics course, follow these instructions when completing the transfer application form:

Attach a copy of the description of the course you wish to get pre-approved and submit this form to 158 Olin Hall.

2. For  Physics courses,  consult:

3. For Math courses, consult:

4. Any questions concerning transfer courses, see Nanette in 104 Upson Hall.