The Optical Society (OSA) is currently accepting applications for the Paul Anthony Bonenfant Memorial Scholarship. Established in 2011 in memory of Paul Anthony Bonenfant, this scholarship enables undergraduate students enrolled in engineering and/or physical science programs to attend semester-abroad programs offered through their accredited college or university. The goal of the scholarship is to provide international experience to students as they prepare for professional lives that promote global engagement and collaboration. This scholarship would reduce the “self-help” portion of financial aid by up to $8,000 if awarded for fall semester study and would apply to any travel occurring through March 1, 2018.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be undergraduate students enrolled in engineering and/or physical science programs at one of the participating universities/institutes (Cornell is a participating University).
- Have at least a 3.0 grade point average (or the equivalent).
- Have applied for or been accepted to a study-abroad program of at least 6 weeks’ duration offered by their university/institute.
- Show a demonstrated interest in optics related research and applications.
- Exhibit financial need as determined by their participating institutions and must demonstrate that in the absence of this scholarship, their study abroad experience would not be financially feasible.
- Be residents of the U.S. and 12-year pre-college graduates from schools in the U.S. (Note – this requirement support of the Scholarship’s focus on promoting global engagement between students living in the U.S. and their counterparts around the world.)
- Agree that if selected as the Scholarship recipient they will blog and/or utilize social media platforms to document their trip, share their experiences and the insights they have gained from living in another culture.
Applications will be accepted until 15 October 2017 and can be submitted here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6c400f16442f44809cbecb2ec1835ad8
Questions? Contact Terence Rooney, OSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terence Rooney, Manager, Students and Early-Career Professionals
The Optical Society (OSA)