(Subjective) Truths (Sort of) Universally Acknowledged

A Tale of Love and Friendship…and Victorian Literature

Post the Thirty-Second: Wherein I Drink Ambrosia With the Gods

February19

Hi everyone! How are you? I hope everyone had a relaxing February break…or as relaxing as a two day break at the beginning of prelim season can possibly be, haha. But I shouldn’t complain: I had a lovely long weekend with the miniscule knight and parental units, watching TV, breaking my diet left and right, and generally just being a lazy bum! And now I’m ready to get my head back in the game.

I know that I’ve set a precedence for not apologizing for my absence from the blogasphere, but I do kind of want to explain myself. I never really make specific New Year’s resolutions; instead, I pick a word that represents a principle or value that I feel I’ve been neglecting, and then I try to live by it to the best of my ability. This year’s word is “presence.” This is my last semester of undergrad, and while I’m really, REALLY excited to be starting my job in August, I know there’s going to be a learning curve, which, considering my over-achiever personality, will probably cause a lot of stress and anxiety on my part. In order to make the most out of this year, and just my life in general, I am going to try and be more present, in my schoolwork/work-work and in my relationships. Of course, it’s only February, and presence is not something that comes naturally to me…so while I’ve been present in my activism and in my family and friend circle, I’ve been noticeably absent from this blog. So, in the name of presence, I will do my best to remedy this situation!

My blogpost today is about a place that is very near and dear to my heart. It is not only home to some of the best soups and sandwiches on campus, but it has also served as my social hub, as a meet-up place for those very dear friends who don’t happen to live ten feet away from me. Behold, lovely readers, the Temple of Zeus!

That's my friend at the cash register, by the way! Photo credit: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2012/05/temple-zeus-dishes-out-atmosphere

That’s my friend at the cash register, by the way! Photo credit: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2012/05/temple-zeus-dishes-out-atmosphere

I have been grabbing lunch from Zeus since my freshman year. I knew I should have been trying to spend my BRBs, which my parents had so kindly paid for before I even got to campus…but I had reasons, people! Very good reasons!

Temple of Zeus is in the basement of Goldwin Smith Hall, which is where most of my classes are held, so it’s super convenient to be able to trot downstairs and grab lunch, especially in the winter. The decor may not be the best, but it has all sorts of cozy nooks for times when I’m planning to eat alone. When I am flying solo, I can sit next to the plaque commemorating the spot where poet Archie Ammons used to like to sit .Of course, I barely ever get to play lone wolf, considering how many people I run into in Zeus on a daily basis. Just today, I crashed my friends’ poetry workshop while I ate my curried sweet pea soup and large tossed salad. I really appreciate how Zeus has allowed me to keep in touch with friends who live at the very end of Collegetown; I don’t always want to make the trek from North Campus, but we can always meet in between for some delicious food!

Which brings me to the next point. The reason I decided to dole out the cash at Zeus when I was still on a meal plan was not only because the prices are crazy reasonable, but also because the food is so very good. Zeus serves the best soups on campus, hands down. My favorite is the Thai carrot, but I love all of them to bits. (Also, I didn’t know that all the recipes were online until I started doing research for this article! Guess what I’m going to feed Cornflower and myself this upcoming week??!!) To be fair, more visited lunch places like Cascadelli and Trillium are fine, but you don’t get the same quality. At Zeus, I know I’m eating relatively healthily, although those pesky scones from Ithaca bakery seem to always find their way into my grain-free, refined-sugar-free diet. Ooops!

It might seem strange to you to wax sentimental about a basement cafe, but Temple of Zeus was also the first place I ate when I was visiting the campus with my mom as a prospective student. I had just come from a meeting with my dean, and a million things were swirling around in my head. I was torn between Cornell and some other small liberal arts schools, and I didn’t really know what to do. The homey atmosphere and the tuna fish sandwich (with a pickle! I love pickles!) calmed me down and convinced me that I could possibly make my way here at this frighteningly large school. So yes, I am going to miss Temple of Zeus dearly when I graduate. But in the meantime, I’mma going to make an appointment this Friday with me, myself, and some Thai carrot soup!

One Comment to

“Post the Thirty-Second: Wherein I Drink Ambrosia With the Gods”

1. February 19th, 2014 at 9:04 PM       Klaske Says:

I love the temple of zeus! :) It’s a great, cozy, and delicious place to eat. It’s too bad that all my classes are never nearby. :(

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: