Prospective Students

Application Process

Graduate students in my lab are interested in foundational and applied insect ecology, especially as they relate to agriculture and pest management.   If you are interested in applying to work in my program, I recommend you contact me first to discuss your interests.  The next step is to apply to the Graduate Field of Entomology.

For more information on the field of entomology, visit the Department of Entomology’s Graduate Study page.

Graduate Mentoring Philosophy

As an advisor of graduate students, I believe I have a number of important functions.  First, I can provide the context from which original and innovative research can arise.  I do not believe I should assign a research project to a student, especially at the doctoral level, but good research does not emerge in a vacuum.  I require students to meet with me on a regular basis, as well as other faculty as it makes sense and provide written updates of how their research is progressing.  Moreover, I have an open door policy and frequently (several times per week) engage them in informal conversations about their research activities.  We also have regular lab meetings to discuss results and go over plans for the next several weeks. With respect to specific research topics, I am fairly open as long as 1) we can obtain sufficient financial support and 2) that the work addresses issues in ecology or entomology that apply, at some level, to problems in agriculture.  In addition to my role as a research advisor, I also believe I have a responsibility to help prepare students and postdocs for future employment.  This includes helping them define their career goals, identifying what is required to attain those goals, establishing links with potential employers inside and outside of academia, and providing opportunities to practice effective communication.