HADM 3350: Restaurant Management

While I’m not taking Restaurant Management this semester, I figured this would be a great opportunity to tell you about it!

Restaurant Management is a core class for Hotelies, who have the option of taking it during Junior or Senior year.  If you’re taking the Restaurant Management class, you have class one night/week, where you help serve, cook, or manage the student-run restaurant, Establishment. Establishment as a restaurant, therefore, runs solely for the purpose of this class.

b

Each night is a different theme, which students choose themselves (themes include Harry Potter, Hawaiian Luau, Disney Princesses, March Madness, etc.) and design a menu based on this theme.

Tonight’s theme? Mardi Gras!

c

In addition to serving a themed menu each night, the class works on developing a basic menu that is served every night regardless of the theme.

As an appetizer, I had crawfish Étouffée (what the heck is Étouffée??) from the Mardi Gras themed menu, and for a main course I had fish tacos. The food was great, but I definitely over ate…so much, in fact, that I didn’t even have room for dessert! And I always have room for dessert!

The crawfish Étouffée :

a

If you’d like to learn more about the restaurant, take a look at this Cornell Daily Sun article!

What crazy theme would you come up with for Establishment?