HA 2360: Food Service Management, Theory, and Practice

Culinary is just one of many exciting courses I’m taking this semester.  So far, I’ve had lab twice and both classes were great.  We are required to wear chef whites, checkered pants, a toque (pleated hat) and kitchen-safe shoes.  Girls must have their hair tied in a bun and wear no nail polish (it can chip into the food and bacteria can grow under fingernails…yikes) and guys must be clean shaven.  My friend models this appropriate attire below:

blog10

The first lab we spent going over the layout of the food labs, where HEC prep takes place.  We then made our first recipe for the semester: chocolate chip cookies!

blog1 blog2 blog3 blog11(Thanks to Davana Bolton for these CCC photographs)

This week was the second week of lab, and today we focused on creating stocks and sauces. We learned about Roux and the five mother sauces:

1. Béchamel sauce
  2. Espagnole sauce
  3. Hollandaise sauce
  4. Tomato sauce
  5. Velouté sauce

My culinary lab typically goes from 8:30-11:30 AM on Wednesdays, but thanks to the overwhelming amount of snow we got overnight, classes were delayed until 9:30 AM! Walking up the unpaved slope was especially treacherous and I’m sure it will be much worse going back down it tonight.  A winter weather advisory is in effect from 7 PM last night to 10 PM tonight. As a result, lab was very rushed today since we lost an hour, so we only had the time to make two soups:

Winter Vegetable Soup:

blog8

blog9

blog7

and Cream of Broccoli:

blog6

So there is a taste of what culinary lab is like (pun intended). If you want me to continue to post about what I make in culinary class, just let me know in the comments!

4 thoughts on “HA 2360: Food Service Management, Theory, and Practice

1. Hi,
    I really like all of your blogs about HM courses. I want to go to Cornell just for this course really bad and i’m only a junior in high school. All the courses I chose in high school right now are aimed towards Cornell’s admission requirements, haha. How is the school in general? Is the environment very competitive? Do you think you have a balance amount of practical works and theoretical works between courses? Also, Do you think work experience during high school summer would help me impress the people who look at my app? I’m sorry there are so many questions, but i’m really interested in Cornell 🙂
    I hope you’ll stay warm and enjoy your classes. I envy Cornell students, especially those from School of HM a lot!
    Becky

2. Thanks again for doing this! I recently found out I was accepted to the Hotel School Early Decision for the Fall of 2014! I’m so excited, and it’s always really cool to read your blog. I love hearing about the culinary classes!

Thanks!

Doug

3. Becky-thanks for commenting! Job experience is probably the most important thing you can have when applying to the Hotel School so it’s great that you’re working! One of the things I love about the hotel school is that it is not as competitive or cut-throat as I found high school to be. This has made my college experience much less stressful and as a result, more enjoyable! Yes all of my courses are useful and I’m glad because all of our “core”/required classes will relate to our jobs in the future.
    Doug-Congratulations!! I hope you’re excited to finally come to Cornell! In that case I’ll keep posting about culinary classes =]