My Winter Externship

Hey everyone! Hope your winter is going smoothly. I’m going back to Cornell in a few days but now I’ll explain to you what I did for one of the glorious weeks of my winter break!

The second week in January I had an externship (basically like a short internship) with Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I applied for the externship back in the Fall and had a behavioral interview with them in October during the Hotelie Career Fair.  I could have been placed at any of the following brand hotels that Starwood owns:

whoboken14

And I was placed at the W Hoboken ! Basically, I spent a week rotating through each department of the hotel, including HR, Finance, Security, Food & Beverage, Engineering, Revenue Management, Housekeeping, the Welcome desk, and even spoke with the General Manager.

The Lobby:

whoboken13

The lighting in the “Living Room,” or bar/lounge on the first floor. It’s designed to look like city skyscrapers!

whoboken10

aaaaa

whoboken8

The space they use to host weddings and large parties:

whoboken12

They’re in the process of remodeling the night club that’s in the hotel…unfortunately I couldn’t see it when it was finished!:

whoboken11

Basically, this externship gave me a great idea of what its like to work in a hotel (it’s way different than the Statler!) and I have to say I liked it a lot.  I’m in the process of applying for summer internships now and I’m looking into working in a hotel!

On my last day, I got a lot of W brand swag, including this t-shirt!

whoboken2And what’s a trip to Hoboken without going to Carlos Bakery, where the TLC hit tv-show, Cake Boss was filmed!

whoboken15

whoboken4 whoboken5 whoboken6

And that was my Starwood winter externship! Comment with any questions you have about it.  My next post will be a one year check up on the status of my scoliosis!

2 thoughts on “My Winter Externship