Finding a Job as a Hotel School Student

Tuesday, October 29 was the Hotel School Career Day!  This year, 55 companies came to recruit Cornell students for externships, internships, and full time positions.  Employers attend the School of Hotel Administration Career Day to increase visibility, to illustrate the benefits of employment in their organization, and to provide information to Cornell students about job opportunities. 

The following organizations also participate in Cornell’s on-campus recruiting program and use the Career Day as an added benefit to interact with School of Hotel Administration students. Here is a list of the companies that came to this year’s Career Day; click on any of them for more information:

Career Day 2013 Companies:

In preparation, I had to update my resume-and got it peer revised to make sure it looked relatively impressive.  The website called CCnet is the Cornell career services website where companies post job opportunities and online applications available for students of all majors.  Last month, I applied to a few of these through the CCnet website.  These companies then came for Career Day and conducted interviews for the students that applied before the deadline.  I had a few interviews last week with some of these companies but I will keep you posted on the results!  The hotel school also helped students prepare for Career Day by setting up a mobile app on Grupio to help students navigate Career Day.  It is equipped with a picture of the layout of the company booths:

and also includes a list of the companies with basic information about them, in addition to links to each companies’ website:

I got a quick photo of the set up of some of the booths in the Park Atrium before it began.  In this picture, there are only 15 of the 55 companies that were here, which gives you an idea of how big it was!

Each company gave out endless SWAG (stuff we all get) at their booths.  I didn’t take too much, but here’s what I ended up with.  This includes a water bottle from The Breakers and a notebook from Starwood.  I also got a USB drive and some homemade jalapeno peanut dark chocolate from Blue Smoke, a restaurant that is a part of Union Square Hospitality Group – the company that Danny Meyer began!

Other companies gave out sunglasses, water bottles, chocolate, USB drives, bags, notebooks, more chocolate, iPod workout armbands, and much, much more!

In short, the Career Day was a great way to reach out and talk to representatives face-to-face, who belong to some of the biggest  companies in the hospitality industry.  It’s a reminder that in the age of technology, human interaction is still very important and you can make great connections by talking to these representatives.  At the same time, a big concern today for college students is finding a job after graduation.  I know that the Hotel School has the highest job placement of all colleges at Cornell, which definitely was a factor in my decision to come to Cornell.  Here are some statistics from 2013 Hotel School graduates and here are some more detailed and even more interesting statistics from 2012 Hotel School graduates.  These documents describes how students find their jobs, what industries they go into, their starting salaries, and where in the world they end up working.

So anyway, there’s a bit about the Hotel School Career Day, on-campus recruitment, and post-grad employment – hope it helped!  Comment with any of your questions!

3 thoughts on “Finding a Job as a Hotel School Student

1. I simply want to mention I am very new to blogging and site-building and honestly loved your website. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your site . You really come with beneficial posts. I am interested to read about hotel management and hotel schools like this..Thanks for sharing your website.