Apple Festival 2013

Following a big exam week, I definitely needed to find way to de-stress.  Luckily, this weekend in Ithaca is the Apple Festival, a 3-day celebration of food, fun, and fall all in the Ithaca commons!  Apple Fest is set up a lot like the Ithaca Farmer’s Market, with a ton of different food and craft vendors, in addition to various games and activities.  It is typically set up in the Commons, but this year, the Commons is being renovated entirely, so it was hard to have any kind of celebration with this going on:

Instead, Apple Fest was set up in the streets nearby the Commons so nothing really changed too much from years past!  This was my 3rd Apple Fest, my 1st being the weekend I happened to visit Cornell while I was a senior in high school.

It was packed yesterday!

For example, this was the line to get apple cider doughnuts

The line was backed up because they ran out and had to make more-when the woman brought these out, everyone clapped and cheered….that’s how popular they are! While I’m not a huge doughnut fan, I’ll admit they tasted pretty good-still hot too!

Walking past various foods and crafts, this stuck out to me-a Russian woman selling tons of Matryoshka dolls (Russian nesting dolls)! They looked too nice not to snap a picture.

There was also a ton of free live music throughout Apple Fest, including this band playing in the center of all the chaos.  There were couples dancing to the music, and upon looking closer I noticed that one of them was my Microeconomics professor from first semester! I didn’t realize it was him at first because instead of wearing a suit, he wore jeans and a fedora- and he was actually a really good dancer!  Laughing, I waved to him and he recognized me in the crowd and waved back….I’m still laughing about it now writing this…

What’s an apple fest without some apple indulgence?  I had a cup of cider, an apple pie sundae with caramel ice cream, a caramel apple (as shown below, pre-cut, with various toppings!) and also bought a bag of apples and 1/2 gallon of apple cider! With this much apple consumption, the doctor will be away for a while. (get it?)

All in all, it was a really fun day and made it start to feel like Fall finally!   Next weekend is Fall Break, a four day break for students from Saturday-Tuesday, and I can’t wait to go home! I’ll just have to get through a week of classes…

2 thoughts on “Apple Festival 2013