l'art d'être · laureen andalib

Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design

On early Christmas eve, I was able to re-visit the city. I arrived pretty early, perhaps around 10am in Manhattan, and started (and pretty much endured) my entire day visiting the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design in Upper East Side. What particularly stood out to me (and has been for quite a while) is the potential of inputted and printed design in the modern world, a field, mainly sparked by the invention of 3-D laser-printing, that has been juggling the industrial and architectural industries more recently than ever. Yet, when seeing signature shoes being printed, we can only ask ourselves what’s next.

Mary Huang & Jenna Fizel. Taken with iPad.

Nonetheless, I do not deny my fascination with Architecture (as always) mainly drew me to this museum. I ended up spending most of my time absorbing the finely-finished Compagnonnage models from France, the interior design of the museum of itself, and much of the modern design and user-friendly innovations which seemed so aligned with Cornell University’s Design & Environmental Analysis department. The experience definitely opened my mind to the idea that design is infinite, both naturally and inventively. The gesture of a textile, the illusion of a tapestry, shattered dishes re-invented into a lamp, and sketches of the Aqua tower in Chicago, some how, all fit under a same, thoughtful, and beautifully planned infrastructure.

Architecture model in the Compogonnange style from France. (iPad)

Illusionistic panels. (iPad)

Illusionistic panels. (iPad)

"Controller of the Universe," Damion Ortega (2007) - (iPad)

“Controller of the Universe,” Damion Ortega (2007) – (iPad)

Ceiling in the main lobby of the Museum. (iPad)