National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship

The National Science Foundation recently awarded me a Graduate Research Fellowship, which, in addition to being an academic honor, will support my research for three years. As described in their solicitation:

“The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) helps ensure the vitality of the human resource base of science and engineering in the United States and reinforces its diversity. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions.”

Under the tenure of this award, I will continue my current work developing an estimation algorithm to classify and enumerate cells captured with our GEDI device and imaged with fluorescent microscopy. I aim for this algorithm to be robust to fluctuations in labeling protocol and statistically rigorous so the algorithm can reject almost overwhelmingly large numbers of contaminating cells.