About

Hello! Bonjour! Hola! Gutentag! 

I can’t actually speak all of these languages — well, I can speak three out of those four.

I’m Kimberly Cárdenas, better known as Kim, and I am currently a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. I am a Government major with minors in Latina/o and Latin American Studies. I hail from West Covina, California, which is about a 25-minute drive from DTLA on a good traffic day. I somehow, with divine intervention, survived my first Ithacan Ice Age. So, to all my fellow warm-weather prospective student folks, you CAN survive the cold, too!

As someone who loves community and who is so far from home, I have found niches around various parts of campus. These include but are not limited to: the Language House, which is a language (what do you know?!)-themed house on the gorges West Campus (I’m studying French), Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA), Exploosh! (Cornell’s ONLY improv a cappella group),  and the Committee on U.S.-Latin American Relations (CUSLAR). My parents are from Mexico and I believe my upbringing to have a strong influence on my passions today.

I’ll talk a little more about my interests here. I am so, so passionate about social justice and contemporary political discourse. Something I attribute my interests to is the fact that I’m the first in my family to complete a Bachelor’s degree. In addition, I’m also interested in learning more about the world and especially Latin America. MEChA and CUSLAR have provided me with mini-homes where I can learn deeply about my cultural roots and tie those learnings with my academics. I have been able to be part of families that contribute to my experience here at Cornell.

Cornell has plenty of slopes — from Libe Slope to the little slopes you’ll encounter walking back to, and from, your dorm — , both literally and figuratively. My blog will be dedicated to writing about the highs and lows of these slopes while my time here! Enjoy! And if you have any comments or questions about student life, don’t hesitate to send them my way!