When was the last time you tried something new?
One of the blogs I subscribe to posted a list of “365 Thought Provoking Questions to Ask Yourself This Year”. The above question was the first one on the list. I have always been the type of person that likes to try new things and have new experiences, mostly because I get bored pretty quickly if I don’t have a challenge. These last two months studying abroad has definitely thrown a lot of new things at me! Here are just a few of the new adventures I have had since I came to Sweden.
1. Studying Abroad: I always loved traveling! Ever since my parents let me travel to London and Amsterdam with People to People Sports Ambassadors in 2003, I have been on the go! However I have always been an outsider to the places I have visited-a tourist taking in the sights and not necessarily experiencing the full culture of the country. Studying and living in Sweden for five months is definitely a new experience and while it was tough at first, I’ve adapted pretty nicely; although I still like to see the sights and act like a tourist too!
2. Online College Class: One of the two classes I have been taking since January is “Systemic Aspects of Farming Systems” or Agroecology for short! This 8-week course is entirely web-based with classmates and professors from all over the world! It is the first time I’ve taken an online college course and it’s been a challenge but I’m really enjoying it! Six out of the eight weeks, we have been working in groups; and if you ever really want a challenge try meeting deadlines while collaborating with people in different time zones!
3. Singing in a Swedish Choir: Since I left high school, the only singing I have really done is in my car, and a little in a church choir. But joining a choir where 99% of the songs are sung in a language I haven’t learned yet (Swedish) and the other 1% are sung in languages I will never learn (Russian, Danish)? Insane!!! Or that’s what some people would say! I have really enjoyed every second of it; the SNerikes choir is nothing like I’ve ever experienced. While we work hard to deliver a great performance, we’re all there because we want to have a good time. And we always succeed in having a good time!
4. College Jeopardy Test: My father has always loved Jeopardy! When I was a kid he called into Jeopardy every once and a while and one time he made it passed the initial test to the final test…unfortunately this was when Jeopardy star Ken Jennings was on and my dad said he didn’t want to be beaten that badly if he was on the show! So back in September my dad put a bug in my ear that I should take the college tournament test for Jeopardy; so I did! What could it hurt? Aside from the fact that I had to stay up until 2 a.m. to take the test, it was only about 20 minutes of my time. It was fun to take the test and see how much I did know; and how much more I didn’t know!
5. Vacation For One: Anytime I have gone on a vacation I have always traveled with a group! Scotland was the first time I ever took a vacation by myself! I developed my own travel plans and was able to see the things I wanted to go see. Since I had to make my own plans, I also had to do research before I went and it made me learn more about the culture and the history! I loved my trip and I am so glad I took the time to try something new and travel by myself!
Even if you aren’t in a new place, go out and try something new this week! Who knows, it could end up changing your life!