Diana Obregon

I am broadly interested in contributing to deal with the trade-off between pollinator conservation and pest management. At the Poveda Lab, I am studying how agricultural intensification is linked to changes in the quantity and the quality of the floral resources available and the pesticide exposure for bees. For this project, I selected as a model Tetragonisca angustula, a very abundant stingless bee in Latin America that interacts with numerous wild plant species and with crops like coffee, cocoa and guava. I am doing my fieldwork in Colombia in the Andes region which is considered as one of the largest `biodiversity hotspots’, with an exceptional concentration of endemic species but at the same time, it is experiencing exceptional loss of habitat.

I received my Bachelor degree in agronomy and my Master in entomology from the National University of Colombia, where I studied the floral resources used by honey bees and stingless bees in different regions of the country. Before coming to Cornell, I worked for five years at La Salle University in tropical fruit production and pest management.