Surviving Fall Break

Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break Fall Break

Ah yes, the gigantic break in the middle of fall semester that we all look forward to: Fall Break.  Okay, so the break is only two days off (Monday and Tuesday), but since there have been no days off since the beginning of the semester (not even labor day), this break is a big deal.  A huge percentage of students go home for the long weekend.  I don’t know the exact numbers, but I’d estimate it to be about 80%.

Me?  I stayed at Cornell for break.  It’s fun to hang out here when there is no (immediate) work to do.  I played board games, ate food, slept, watched anime, and just relaxed.  The fences blocking of the new grass on west campus were removed just in time for when everyone left for break and it makes for nice walking. Finally all signs of construction on west campus are gone.

The toughest thing about fall break is food.  All the dining halls close and then the closest place to get food is college town.  While it’s annoying I can’t really blame Cornell because with so many people gone it would be kind of silly to have the dining halls open.  Being on meal plan, I rarely eat off campus, so it was a nice change of pace.  When I was here taking classes summer ’07 I ate at college town a lot so it was somewhat nostalgic, but it didn’t take too long for me to get sick of it again and feel the strain on my wallet.

The weather during break was great and made walking the 10 minutes to college town more of a joy than an inconvenience.  The pictures you see chronicles one of my tremendous journeys.  There are two main ways of going from west to college town.  One is by the main roads that you see here and one is through some nice small paths.  After living in west for over a year I still don’t know which one I prefer.

2 Responses to “Surviving Fall Break”

1.   Taylor Says:

I just wanted to say that I have been keeping up with your website for about a year now and so appreciate your updates. I will be applying to Cornell Engineering and your blog has made me all the more excited.

Thanks.