oh no she didn’t

the hotelie life

Epilogue.

June12

Not to get too cheeseball or anything (remember, the collective emotional state of the Class of 2008 is a little bit nutjobesque right now due to the abrupt change in lifestyles and surroundings), but you know that old saying about Cornell being the “easiest Ivy to get into and the hardest one to graduate from”? I don’t think that refers to academics (although, given the Close Call of the Century that was my academic record, maybe that second part holds true for the curriculum).

See, I think it refers to the community and the people here. It was SO easy to make friends when we got here. Remarkably, I have, more or less, had the same core group of best friends — especially best girlfriends — since the 2nd day of freshman orientation. And leaving Cornell, because of the experience and because of them, was one of the most heartwrenching things I’ve ever gone through (hey, shut up, I’m only 21). Like the end of an 80′s movie, I’m going to put together a “where are they now” epilogue. ME FIRST:

• I ended up landing a FANTASTIC job. After all that searching and interviewing, I was hired as the Assistant Editor at HotelChatter, the hotel news/reviews web magazine where I interned last summer. After deciding to pursue writing, I was looking around at a lot of print magazines and some PR firms; but ultimately, I love and respect both the editor and publisher at HotelChatter and I know my writing style fits in well there. There are tons of exciting things happening with them, and I could not have come on board at a more perfect time — it’s been a great experience so far. Plus, I mean, hotel reviews, a flexible schedule, 4-5 published articles a day and cool bosses? Who could ask for more? I’m working from home right now and I’m going to be moving to NYC on August 1st. I’m also working on a few freelance writing projects, small and large :)
  • Brett is moving to Las Vegas; since the day I met her, she has talked endlessly about her dream of one day running a Vegas casino — and now she’s going into the leadership training program at the Wynn Las Vegas.
  • Jordan is heading to NYC to work at Sirius Satellite Radio, a bit of a change from his original dream of being a meteorologist. But while at Cornell, he became the general manager of the local Ithaca radio station and, well, he found his calling.
  • Ashley graduated Phi Beta Kappa and is heading to UC Berkeley to pursue her PhD in Performance Studies.
  • Danielle has a million different options and has been traveling (like we all should have been doing) before she chooses one.
  • Nick is heading to an NY TV station to be a weatherman!
  • Tim is going to Boston to work in the management training program at his favorite hotel.
  • Ian is off to DC to work for a hotel brokerage, which probably allows him to utilize his skills as the world’s best BSer.

I will tell anyone who is worried about Cornell’s size this much: these people, over the last 4 years, became my second family. My girlfriends and I fought like sisters, but together we weathered the various storms that took the form of boyfriends, apartment troubles, the Greek system and, well, growing up — and I can say with confidence that those girls will be bridesmaids at my wedding (however, I cannot say with confidence that I will ever bother to get married).

by posted under College Life, Graduation OMG | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“Epilogue.”

1. June 13th, 2008 at 3:54 pm       L. Says:

Wow. You were cute as a freshman. I like the the American-pie brunette look.

More than you ever needed to know.

My name is Jenna and I’m a senior Hotel Administration major (you know you’re jealous). I came here from Plano, TX, a huge suburb of Dallas where the high school football teams and the retail shopping experiences are top-notch. I graduated in 2004 from Plano West Senior High, a two-year public high school with around 1800 students. I’m now in Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration where the entire school is smaller than my graduating senior class, but I like it that way. Although we’re allowed to concentrate in specific areas within the Hotel Administration major– Finance or Food and Beverage, for example– I  sort of spent the last 3 years dabbling in everything from culinary arts to hotel design to information systems. I’m thinking that I’d like to go into some sort of industry-related writing; maybe, like, travel magazine writing?

I’m just getting started on my senior year and could not be happier (or busier, really). I work as a Cornell tour guide, answering the phone for 254-INFO, working in the traffic/visitor information booths around campus, and writing back to those emails you send to info@cornell.edu. True to my Southern roots, I’m a member of a sorority, Kappa Delta, and lived in the house with 35 of my sisters sophomore year. I’m involved in various hotelie clubs and worked as a function manager for Hotel Ezra Cornell, a weekend-long event where hotelies take over the Statler Hotel and showcase their talents to hundreds of guests who just happen to be the most influential leaders in the global hospitality industry. In 2007-2008, I take over as the executive director of the Vagina Monologues as part of the nationwide V-Day movement to stop violence against women. Freshman year, I played clarinet in the Cornell Wind Ensemble, bass clarinet in the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, and a little bit of both in the Cornell Chamber Orchestra. I served as Director of Tours for the Hotel School and am now the president of the Hotel School Ambassadors, the group of fabulous hotelies that give tours to prospective students and act as mentors to newly admitted freshmen. Also, I am one of the founding members of the Hotel School Student Advisory Board, a group of SHA students who meet with academic deans to discuss curriculum and other things that will help continuously improve our fabulous school. On top of all that, I had a column in the Cornell Daily Sun junior year (called “Fast Times at Statler High”) and remain on the Sun Op-Ed Board my senior year. I am also an editor of a news blog run by an outside firm, as well as a writer at Hotelchatter.com. Plus, I go out on the weekends… really, I do have a life. Kind of.

This year’s mission: find a job or get into grad school. And, um, graduate.

Other questions? Leave them in the comments section on any of my entries!