oh no she didn’t

the hotelie life

Somebody from Cornell University Loves You!

March31

Dear Newly-Accepted Class of 2012,

Congratulations & welcome to the Cornell family! Four years ago today, I was in your shoes and received the most important news of my young adult life — and I made the right choice. I hope you do, too.

Oh, but I hope your day turns out to be less embarrassing than mine: I received the news in the morning, went to school super psyched about the whole thing, and at the end of the day, I walked into my crowded high school parking lot to find . . . my car had morphed into something new. It had become a hybrid of sorts: it was all at once a Volkswagen Jetta, a Cornell Spirit Mobile. . . and a mortifying display of my mother’s pride.

On the windshield: a giant posterboard with the words “YAYA CORNELL!” written in gigantic letters (visible from space). On the door handles and mirrors: red and white streamers. And the piece de resistance? Roughly 50 packs of Big Red cinnamon gum taped all over the car’s exterior. It was cute, but I sincerely hope none of your parents did this to any of you.

cornellbear.jpg

Anyway, congratulations — somebody from Cornell really does love you!

by posted under College Life, Spring '08 | 3 Comments »    
3 Comments to

“Somebody from Cornell University Loves You!”

1. March 31st, 2008 at 9:52 pm       Art's Mom Says:

And Art told me it was because it was your birthday…. It was quite a sight, though!

2. April 1st, 2008 at 4:59 pm       Lisa Says:

I wish that my parents were that thrilled when I was accepted. They were more bummed that I was denied from somewhere else on the same day.

3. April 1st, 2008 at 6:58 pm       your mom Says:

YOU LOVED IT!! And that was nothing…….just wait until you graduate from Cornell!!!

More than you ever needed to know.

My name is Jenna and I’m a senior Hotel Administration major (you know you’re jealous). I came here from Plano, TX, a huge suburb of Dallas where the high school football teams and the retail shopping experiences are top-notch. I graduated in 2004 from Plano West Senior High, a two-year public high school with around 1800 students. I’m now in Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration where the entire school is smaller than my graduating senior class, but I like it that way. Although we’re allowed to concentrate in specific areas within the Hotel Administration major– Finance or Food and Beverage, for example– I  sort of spent the last 3 years dabbling in everything from culinary arts to hotel design to information systems. I’m thinking that I’d like to go into some sort of industry-related writing; maybe, like, travel magazine writing?

I’m just getting started on my senior year and could not be happier (or busier, really). I work as a Cornell tour guide, answering the phone for 254-INFO, working in the traffic/visitor information booths around campus, and writing back to those emails you send to info@cornell.edu. True to my Southern roots, I’m a member of a sorority, Kappa Delta, and lived in the house with 35 of my sisters sophomore year. I’m involved in various hotelie clubs and worked as a function manager for Hotel Ezra Cornell, a weekend-long event where hotelies take over the Statler Hotel and showcase their talents to hundreds of guests who just happen to be the most influential leaders in the global hospitality industry. In 2007-2008, I take over as the executive director of the Vagina Monologues as part of the nationwide V-Day movement to stop violence against women. Freshman year, I played clarinet in the Cornell Wind Ensemble, bass clarinet in the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, and a little bit of both in the Cornell Chamber Orchestra. I served as Director of Tours for the Hotel School and am now the president of the Hotel School Ambassadors, the group of fabulous hotelies that give tours to prospective students and act as mentors to newly admitted freshmen. Also, I am one of the founding members of the Hotel School Student Advisory Board, a group of SHA students who meet with academic deans to discuss curriculum and other things that will help continuously improve our fabulous school. On top of all that, I had a column in the Cornell Daily Sun junior year (called “Fast Times at Statler High”) and remain on the Sun Op-Ed Board my senior year. I am also an editor of a news blog run by an outside firm, as well as a writer at Hotelchatter.com. Plus, I go out on the weekends… really, I do have a life. Kind of.

This year’s mission: find a job or get into grad school. And, um, graduate.

Other questions? Leave them in the comments section on any of my entries!