oh no she didn’t

the hotelie life

Which is Worse: Moaning On Stage or Crying On Stage?

March2

The Vagina Monologues were a RIDICULOUS success. Our Friday show sold out entirely and we had to awkwardly turn people away from the door; our Saturday show in Statler (a venue that seats 715ish people) was pretty much filled to capacity– which is MAJOR, considering we were competing with the Harvard hockey game and some sort of basketball game that seemed to be fairly important.

The exact amount of money we raised hasn’t come in yet, but I can tell you that everything worked out perfectly production-wise: I have received nothing but glowing reviews from audience members– the actresses were absolutely incredible. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to work with such mazing, amazing women.

Last year, I was an actress in the 2007 VM production and felt all kinds of awkward when I had to moan (uh, sexually) on stage . . . but that was NOTHING compared to this year. In front of 700 people when I was making my directors’ speech and saying thank you’s after a standing ovation, I cried. I CRIED. Who cries? Who even does that? It was the combination of how amazingly well the show went, the standing ovation, my friends’ faces in the audience, the enormous weight lifted off my shoulders, and seeing my mom (who came all the way from Texas for the occasion) in the crowd. I was a hot mess– but not as much of a hot mess as my flower-allergic roommate is going to be when she gets home and spends some time hanging out with the 7 bouqets of flowers in the apartment. :)

Here, I don’t want to talk about this anymore. Here are some photos.

VMcoochie.jpg
Performing “The Little Coochi Snorcher That Could” (Yes, that’s Life on the Hill’s very own Nikki 2nd from the left!)

vmmom.jpg
My Mom and I with a stuffed vaggie after the show.

by posted under Spring '08 | 3 Comments »    
3 Comments to

“Which is Worse: Moaning On Stage or Crying On Stage?”

1. March 2nd, 2008 at 6:07 pm       Art's Mom Says:

Congratulations on a job well-done, Jenna. You should be proud of yourself. Crying is ok – it’s actually good for your body to release tension and it shows you have HEART!

Now, back to finance and the real world….

2. March 2nd, 2008 at 10:01 pm       your mom Says:

Hey, I thought that thing was a decorative pillow?!?! Yes, Jenna dear, that was a very important B’ball game…………and what a great WIN!! Go Big Red!

3. March 3rd, 2008 at 9:53 am       Lisa Says:

Congrats on a job very well done!

More than you ever needed to know.

My name is Jenna and I’m a senior Hotel Administration major (you know you’re jealous). I came here from Plano, TX, a huge suburb of Dallas where the high school football teams and the retail shopping experiences are top-notch. I graduated in 2004 from Plano West Senior High, a two-year public high school with around 1800 students. I’m now in Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration where the entire school is smaller than my graduating senior class, but I like it that way. Although we’re allowed to concentrate in specific areas within the Hotel Administration major– Finance or Food and Beverage, for example– I  sort of spent the last 3 years dabbling in everything from culinary arts to hotel design to information systems. I’m thinking that I’d like to go into some sort of industry-related writing; maybe, like, travel magazine writing?

I’m just getting started on my senior year and could not be happier (or busier, really). I work as a Cornell tour guide, answering the phone for 254-INFO, working in the traffic/visitor information booths around campus, and writing back to those emails you send to info@cornell.edu. True to my Southern roots, I’m a member of a sorority, Kappa Delta, and lived in the house with 35 of my sisters sophomore year. I’m involved in various hotelie clubs and worked as a function manager for Hotel Ezra Cornell, a weekend-long event where hotelies take over the Statler Hotel and showcase their talents to hundreds of guests who just happen to be the most influential leaders in the global hospitality industry. In 2007-2008, I take over as the executive director of the Vagina Monologues as part of the nationwide V-Day movement to stop violence against women. Freshman year, I played clarinet in the Cornell Wind Ensemble, bass clarinet in the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, and a little bit of both in the Cornell Chamber Orchestra. I served as Director of Tours for the Hotel School and am now the president of the Hotel School Ambassadors, the group of fabulous hotelies that give tours to prospective students and act as mentors to newly admitted freshmen. Also, I am one of the founding members of the Hotel School Student Advisory Board, a group of SHA students who meet with academic deans to discuss curriculum and other things that will help continuously improve our fabulous school. On top of all that, I had a column in the Cornell Daily Sun junior year (called “Fast Times at Statler High”) and remain on the Sun Op-Ed Board my senior year. I am also an editor of a news blog run by an outside firm, as well as a writer at Hotelchatter.com. Plus, I go out on the weekends… really, I do have a life. Kind of.

This year’s mission: find a job or get into grad school. And, um, graduate.

Other questions? Leave them in the comments section on any of my entries!