oh no she didn’t

the hotelie life

200ish Chocolate Vaginas = True Friendship

February27

I have been super stressed these past few weeks because the Vagina Monologues are rapidly approaching. Like, very rapidly. As in… they’re in 3 days.

The acting in rehearsals has been blowing me away; the cast is absolutely incredible and as director, I really don’t know what to do with myself because these women are so talented. But that doesn’t change the fact that a bajillion things need to be done, from the “Give Your Lips a Voice” t-shirts to the lighting and sound. As executive director/organizer, part of my job is to produce the chocolate vagina lollipops we sell at the shows (yes, you read that correctly). The idea here was to outsource this to a loyal band of KD sisters this evening, but the life-ruining “wintry mix” (i.e. the sky puked snow and rain for 10 hours without relent) sort of foiled my plans to leave the house after 6 p.m.

And thus, a herculean effort was underway. My mission: make 200ish vagina-shaped lollipops out of melty chocolate and some shady vagina-shaped molds. With the help of my beautiful, fabulous, supportive roommates, we were able to churn out a good chunk of them before I had to retreat to my room to write my Daily Sun column for the week. We were nowhere close to finished with the Vag-Pops, but I had to move on so we all gave up for the night.

12:30 am rolled around, and I surfaced from the cavernous depths of my pink boudoir seeking caffeine from the kitchen. And there’s my roommate, Danielle, standing all alone by the sink, cleaning out one of the chocolate molds. I thought she’d gone to bed, but instead she had finished every single vagina lollipop for me because she wanted me to have one less thing to worry about, even though she had class in the morning.

I was totally floored. She isn’t involved in the Vagina Monologues at all (in fact, her sitting through it last year was an enormous gesture of goodwill because she isn’t into this sort of thing), but she just wanted to be a supportive friend. I guess it’s true what they say: you don’t come to Cornell to meet your husband– you come to meet your bridesmaids. Love you, D.

by posted under Spring '08 | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“200ish Chocolate Vaginas = True Friendship”

1. February 27th, 2008 at 10:49 am       your mom Says:

That is so sweet…….made me cry. I’ll see you gals in a few days, yeah!!

2. March 1st, 2008 at 2:29 pm       Sarah O Says:

Jenna has been a FABULOUS director of the Vagina Monologues! Cheers to her!!

More than you ever needed to know.

My name is Jenna and I’m a senior Hotel Administration major (you know you’re jealous). I came here from Plano, TX, a huge suburb of Dallas where the high school football teams and the retail shopping experiences are top-notch. I graduated in 2004 from Plano West Senior High, a two-year public high school with around 1800 students. I’m now in Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration where the entire school is smaller than my graduating senior class, but I like it that way. Although we’re allowed to concentrate in specific areas within the Hotel Administration major– Finance or Food and Beverage, for example– I  sort of spent the last 3 years dabbling in everything from culinary arts to hotel design to information systems. I’m thinking that I’d like to go into some sort of industry-related writing; maybe, like, travel magazine writing?

I’m just getting started on my senior year and could not be happier (or busier, really). I work as a Cornell tour guide, answering the phone for 254-INFO, working in the traffic/visitor information booths around campus, and writing back to those emails you send to info@cornell.edu. True to my Southern roots, I’m a member of a sorority, Kappa Delta, and lived in the house with 35 of my sisters sophomore year. I’m involved in various hotelie clubs and worked as a function manager for Hotel Ezra Cornell, a weekend-long event where hotelies take over the Statler Hotel and showcase their talents to hundreds of guests who just happen to be the most influential leaders in the global hospitality industry. In 2007-2008, I take over as the executive director of the Vagina Monologues as part of the nationwide V-Day movement to stop violence against women. Freshman year, I played clarinet in the Cornell Wind Ensemble, bass clarinet in the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, and a little bit of both in the Cornell Chamber Orchestra. I served as Director of Tours for the Hotel School and am now the president of the Hotel School Ambassadors, the group of fabulous hotelies that give tours to prospective students and act as mentors to newly admitted freshmen. Also, I am one of the founding members of the Hotel School Student Advisory Board, a group of SHA students who meet with academic deans to discuss curriculum and other things that will help continuously improve our fabulous school. On top of all that, I had a column in the Cornell Daily Sun junior year (called “Fast Times at Statler High”) and remain on the Sun Op-Ed Board my senior year. I am also an editor of a news blog run by an outside firm, as well as a writer at Hotelchatter.com. Plus, I go out on the weekends… really, I do have a life. Kind of.

This year’s mission: find a job or get into grad school. And, um, graduate.

Other questions? Leave them in the comments section on any of my entries!