oh no she didn’t

the hotelie life

“Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty & meet me tonight in Atlantic City.”

November11

This weekend, my Casinos class had a field trip to Atlantic City. I know, I know. Mandatory field trip to a bunch of casinos– you can just get all your hotelie jokes out of the way now.

Borgata

So a couple of my friends and I drove up to Atlantic City on Thursday night and settled into our suite at the Borgata (which we got for an awesome rate, thank you Hotel School!)

Friday was kind of a big deal. We visited three different AC properties and talked to some bigwigs at each one– they all had presentations prepared for us and spoke about the Atlantic City market and, you know, explained what it’s like to run a casino. I still absolutely cannot fathom working at a property that has 4000 employees or more than, like, 150 rooms… but those 1000-room places operate like machines. Machines that make a ridiculous amount of money.

We spoke to the Borgata folks first and then headed over to the Trump Taj Mahal (which is sort of what I think of when I think of Atlantic City) and ended the day at Caesar’s. I tried to gamble a little bit on Saturday night, but I lost five dollars and did not enjoy it in the least. These days, all the machines print out little tickets instead of dispensing a bunch of coins when you win and it totally takes the fun out of it for me, you know? You’re supposed to be able to grab handfuls of dirty coins when you win something on a slot machine and feel like you’ve just won a fortune. Instead of a ton of coins, you get a little ticket that says you’ve just won $2.25. Yes. Not awesome.

Conclusions: I don’t want to work in a casino ever, I dig the Borgata (new! sleek! gorgeous!), and gambling is not kind to me. And now I have to go write a paper about it.

by posted under Fall '07 | Comments Off    

More than you ever needed to know.

My name is Jenna and I’m a senior Hotel Administration major (you know you’re jealous). I came here from Plano, TX, a huge suburb of Dallas where the high school football teams and the retail shopping experiences are top-notch. I graduated in 2004 from Plano West Senior High, a two-year public high school with around 1800 students. I’m now in Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration where the entire school is smaller than my graduating senior class, but I like it that way. Although we’re allowed to concentrate in specific areas within the Hotel Administration major– Finance or Food and Beverage, for example– I  sort of spent the last 3 years dabbling in everything from culinary arts to hotel design to information systems. I’m thinking that I’d like to go into some sort of industry-related writing; maybe, like, travel magazine writing?

I’m just getting started on my senior year and could not be happier (or busier, really). I work as a Cornell tour guide, answering the phone for 254-INFO, working in the traffic/visitor information booths around campus, and writing back to those emails you send to info@cornell.edu. True to my Southern roots, I’m a member of a sorority, Kappa Delta, and lived in the house with 35 of my sisters sophomore year. I’m involved in various hotelie clubs and worked as a function manager for Hotel Ezra Cornell, a weekend-long event where hotelies take over the Statler Hotel and showcase their talents to hundreds of guests who just happen to be the most influential leaders in the global hospitality industry. In 2007-2008, I take over as the executive director of the Vagina Monologues as part of the nationwide V-Day movement to stop violence against women. Freshman year, I played clarinet in the Cornell Wind Ensemble, bass clarinet in the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, and a little bit of both in the Cornell Chamber Orchestra. I served as Director of Tours for the Hotel School and am now the president of the Hotel School Ambassadors, the group of fabulous hotelies that give tours to prospective students and act as mentors to newly admitted freshmen. Also, I am one of the founding members of the Hotel School Student Advisory Board, a group of SHA students who meet with academic deans to discuss curriculum and other things that will help continuously improve our fabulous school. On top of all that, I had a column in the Cornell Daily Sun junior year (called “Fast Times at Statler High”) and remain on the Sun Op-Ed Board my senior year. I am also an editor of a news blog run by an outside firm, as well as a writer at Hotelchatter.com. Plus, I go out on the weekends… really, I do have a life. Kind of.

This year’s mission: find a job or get into grad school. And, um, graduate.

Other questions? Leave them in the comments section on any of my entries!