RSS Feed

One last hurrah

October 7, 2013 by Ian Perry   

Well, now that we’re already about a month into the fall semester, it’s probably about time I started blogging again. The usual start of the semester craziness coupled with the job search has prevented me from starting sooner, but I plan on getting back to blogging regularly starting now.

After spending the summer in Portland, Oregon interning at Nike (more blog posts to come about this), it was a little strange coming back to Ithaca, although I’m happy to be back. Actually, Ithaca kind of reminds me of Portland in a lot of ways. There are a bunch of similarities between the cultures, there are a lot of outdoorsy things to do, and there’s tons of good food to be found. Now that I’m back for my final year as an undergraduate, I’ve started thinking about all of the things that I haven’t yet experienced at Cornell and in Ithaca. There are so many things that I have yet to do, and I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.

It’s really easy to get very focused on your school work at Cornell, and it tends to happen often. This makes it easy to come up with excuses for not doing things. In my opinion, “I have too much work,” is never a good enough reason for not going on a hike, not going for a run, not exploring the Ithaca Commons, or not heading down to the Farmer’s Market on a Sunday morning. Yeah, school work is important, but the experiences that make being a Cornellian what it is are just as important. So, this year, I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure I explore everything that Cornell and Ithaca have to offer, and not get caught up in just doing school work all the time.

I’d say I’m off to a decent start. This weekend, I finally made it to Cornell’s golf course for the first time and I also went to Apple Fest for the first time. It only took me four years, but hey, better late then never.

I’m looking forward to getting back to blogging, and plan to cover many topics. I’m also hoping to get Hanging with Cornellians started up again, so if you have any suggestions for who I should interview, let me know in the comments.

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for things at Cornell or in Ithaca that I absolutely must do before graduating, feel free to leave a comment.

»