Work to Improve Soil Quality on Vegetable Farms
Are you looking for applied research experience in agriculture? Passionate about small farms? Interested in strategies to improve soil quality and reduce on-farm energy use? This is your opportunity to gain hands-on production and research experience. Help manage vegetable crops from planting to harvest, learn plant and soil sampling methods, organize data, and summarize results. This position may require occasional travel to on-farm research sites or Cornell agricultural research stations. You must be enrolled as an undergraduate student for fall 2014 to apply!
Position Date: Summer 2014 (end of May – mid August)
Location: Cornell University, Ithaca campus and the HCT Vegetable Research Farm, Freeville. Daily transportation to the research farm will be provided.
Hours and Pay Rate: 39 hrs/week at $10.00/hr
1) Enthusiasm for and desire to learn about agriculture, research and farming
2) Ability to conduct physical work in a field setting
3) Previous farm experience preferred but not required
4) Demonstrated ability to work independently
5) Strong organization skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel
For more information or to apply, contact Ryan Maher, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 2 references.
Application Closing Date: Friday, February 28th, 2014.