Flower bulb expert, author to speak at Cornell

AnnaPavordHorticulturist and best-selling author Anna Pavord will speak on “A Luxuriance of Bulbs” at 11 a.m., Saturday March 20 at the Statler Hall Auditorium on the Cornell University campus. The talk is free and open to the public.

Pavord has been the gardening correspondent for The Independent (UK) since 1986 and has written eight books, including the international bestseller The Tulip and 2009’s Bulb.

“Of all the different plants in the world, bulbs intrigue me the most,” says Pavord. “As a gardener, I appreciate the way they mark the seasons. Bulbs are not just a spring thing. In this talk I introduce some of my favorites and suggest how they might be used in a garden.”

Pavord is also the author of New Kitchen Garden, Border Book, and Plant Partners. She was one of the founding editors of Gardens Illustrated and wrote and presented Flowering Passions for BBC Channel 4 television. She has lived in Dorset for almost forty years. After restoring the garden of an old rectory, she recently moved to a new garden, which she is filling with bulbs.

After the talk, Pavord will sign copies of her new book, Bulb, which will be available for sale.