Are you looking for information about backyard composting, or composting in schools, community gardens, or other community settings? The links below will get you started, or help you trouble-shoot. Fact sheets and other resources are from the Cornell Waste Management Institute except where otherwise noted.
Composting at home or other small scale setting? Looking for information about collecting and separating organic residuals, choosing a composting unit, or preventing animal nuisances or other common problems?
- CWMI’s small scale/backyard composting page
- “Composting at Home – The Green and Brown Alternative“
- “Home Composting” Brochure
- “Health and Safety Guidance for Small Scale Composting“
- “Preventing Animal Nuisances in Small Scale Composting“
- “Home Composting” Slide Show
- “Composting to Reduce the Waste Stream“
- NYSDEC’s “Easy Home Composting” Poster
- Compost resources from CCE Tompkins County
Composting in a school or larger community setting? Looking for practical advice or learning materials?
- Composting Education for Schools and Communities
- “School Composting – Let’s get Growing! A guide for student leaders and teachers“
- “In-Vessel Composting Options for Medium-Scale Food Waste Generators“
- “Health and Safety Guidance for Composting in the School Setting”
- “Composting Education – Curriculum for Schools and Communities” (in English and Spanish)
- “Composting: Wastes to Resources“
- “Compost Use for Improved Soil” Poster Series
Interested in using worms to help you compost?
- Vermicompost research page: “Vermicompost: A Living Soil Amendment“
- Indoor Composting with a Worm Bin, from CCE Tompkins County
Compost FAQs coming soon!