November

I’m not sure where most of this month went.  Actually, I am.  There are probably still some of my fingerprints smudged over the chalkboards and tables, my dead skin cells ground into the carpet, and a little part of my soul and brain hiding in a dark corner of Olin.  Most of the month was taken up by a cycle of classes, research, lab reports, some band, and occasional meals and sleeping.  I saw my lab group (significantly) more than the people I was living with.  I didn’t take any pictures until Thanksgiving Break, and from those images it appears I cooked pasta, turned one of my penguins into a turkey, took a walk down the Cascadilla Gorge Trail, drank rum, and went to Madison Square Garden (MSG).  Which pretty well sums up my break, with the addition of also (finally) writing my personal statement because I had a grad school application due two days after break.

Fall in Cascadilla Gorge

Fall in Cascadilla Gorge

For the record, I’ve been 21 for over a year now, so the drinking was completely legal.  Plus, I had less than a shot glass of rum.  Because, in all honesty, it didn’t taste that good.  A friend brought it over to my apartment during break so we could have spiked eggnog (also not my favorite) while watching Sherlock, the BBC series.  My (junior year) roommate and I had finally convinced our other friend to watch Sherlock.  I think the first couple seasons are better in terms of plot, but the third season has a couple of my favorite scenes – Sherlock getting slapped/punched/head-butted and the bar crawl.  As a side note, I watched the Christmas special, The Abominable Bride, and thought it was pretty good.  It was utterly ridiculous in parts, but I’m good with utterly ridiculous.  Really.  I’ve read the entirety of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy trilogy – all five books.

MSG pregame

MSG pregame

The next day, I went to MSG with the pep band for the third year in a row.  I originally wasn’t going to go, since I’d been the past couple years and had my grad school applications to think about.  But then I decided that I wanted to go, so I signed up.  It was another great trip.  It was grey and cloudy the entire trip, but unseasonably warm.  We arrived in New York City early, explored a bit, had dinner, then went to watch the game.  It was one of the most intense games I’ve been to, with Cornell hanging in the game and holding on through overtime to secure a tie for the standings.  Sometimes a tie feels like a loss, but sometimes it’s more like a win.  I would have liked to see a Cornell victory, but I have to admit they were probably overmatched in this game.  So we were pretty happy with the tie.  I slept most of the way back to Ithaca, then three days later my first grad school application was due, while I was trying to finish up the last week of classes.  It was a bit of a race to the finish line.  Also, none of my other applications were due for another couple weeks.  Then again, those were due in the middle of finals week.  That’s a story for next time.