161 Things Every Cornellian Should Do, #31

31. Spend a summer at Cornell and enjoy Ithaca’s few months of warm weather.

I spent upwards of thirty-five hours a week in Olin for the entire summer, but when I wasn’t working in a windowless basement room, I had the weekends and evenings free to explore Ithaca.  Here’s the summer in pictures and commentary:

On average, I had one peanut butter and jam sandwich a day.  Over the course of the summer, I consumed four and a half pounds of peanut butter, between three and four dozen eggs, three pounds of cheese, and five and a half gallons of milk, among other things.

There was construction everywhere all summer, including a project right in front of Olin Hall that I had to navigate every day to get to work.

I’m on a quest to see how many things I can bake in a muffin tin.  So far I’ve done apple pies (shown above), bread pudding, eggs, brownies, and chocolate cupcakes.  I cooked for myself made sandwiches all summer so I tried out a bread pudding recipe with the end slices.  I also successfully cooked chicken and managed to make dinner every night using only a single pot and frying pan.

I went hiking a couple times when I could find someone to drive me.

There was reading for fun.  [Books shown: Our Town, Thornton Wilder; Lucky Jim, Kingsley Amis; 2061: Odyssey Three, Arthur C. Clarke; Animal Farm, George Orwell.]

And trips to the farmer’s market.

Peach picking.  I haven’t been apple picking in years, and this was my first time picking peaches.

And finally, expeditions to the Plantations.  Besides the pouring rain that deluged us every time we tried to leave Olin, summer was great.  There were no problem sets, which meant that after leaving Olin for the day, I had nothing to do.  Ironically enough, even after being outside for decent portions of the summer, the closest I got to being sunburned was during a field hockey game after classes started.  The sun was out for once and the band was in prime roasting position on the metal bleachers . . .

3 thoughts on “161 Things Every Cornellian Should Do, #31

• Summer was great, but then I had to get back to taking classes. The last picture was taken on the Morgan-Smith trail which can be accessed at the bottom of the hill to the Newman Overlook. I didn’t know about the trail until I found it that day, and I still need to go back to explore more around there.