Radical Reels

A couple weeks Some time ago, I had the opportunity (finally) to attend the Radical Reels film festival.  Cornell has been a venue for Radical Reels all three years I’ve been a student here, but this year was the year I decided I would go, even if I did have prelims on the evenings directly before and after.  Thanks to my West Campus house, I managed to secure a free ticket, though after getting to see this year’s show, I would pay for a ticket myself if I couldn’t convince someone else to buy one for me.  This is the equivalent of my endorsement for this film festival because the last things I’ve bought (or would have bought with my own money if I wasn’t home and could use my parents’ money) are pencils (5 for $2), books that cost less than $2, and an ocarina (end of summer gift to myself from the farmer’s market).

Radical Reels was described to us as all the adrenaline from the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival, which includes films about other things like conservation rather than just jumping out of planes and falling skiing down vertical cliffs gently rolling snow-covered hills.  While some a lot of Radical Reels was about things I wouldn’t personally do (wingsuit flying, anyone?) and/or can’t (so I grew up in New England and can’t ski down the bunny hill without falling) it was still a lot of fun to watch.  There were a couple of climbing films in the mix that I especially enjoyed.

Bottom line (it’s also below): I’ll be trying my best to get to Radical Reels next year as long as it comes back and I’ll even pay for my own ticket with my own money.

That said, I also want to mention Cornell Outdoor Education (COE), who arranges/facilitates the event.  I’m not affiliated with COE in any way except that I give them money so I can injure myself.  I’ve taken a couple PE classes and gone to the challenge course, and I regularly climb at the main climbing wall and the bouldering wall.  Through all that, I have predominantly had positive experiences with COE.  The worst thing about anything I’ve done with COE is that my hiking class walked too slowly, but I walk between 3 and 4 miles an hour as my standard pace, with a backpack on.  Relative to other people, I also apparently slow down when I go downhill and speed up when I go uphill.  So as long as you walk like most of the rest of the human population appears to, you won’t have my “hiking with other people” problems.  The hiking was still nice; I just apparently walk very fast.

To end this post with a picture, here’s me hanging upside down ten feet in the air at the climbing wall last spring:

___________________________________________________________________

One thought on “Radical Reels