This Weekend

Men’s hockey won against both Brown and Yale.  On Friday night, they beat Brown 5-1.  Cornell had a penalty shot called against us (resulting in Brown’s only goal), the door to Cornell’s penalty box shattered, and there was an empty net goal.  Penalty shots aren’t very common, but this is already the second one Cornell’s had called against them at home this season.  As for the penalty box door shattering, that was completely unexpected, though not impossible.  I couldn’t actually see the door break from where I was standing, but all of a sudden the game stopped, the band looked over at the penalty box where the commotion was, and the door was missing.

Saturday night was a closer game, but in the end Cornell came out victorious over last year’s NCAA national champions.  (Cornell sadly ended up losing a best of three series to Quinnipiac in double overtime of the third game in the ECAC playoffs, which lead into NCAA playoffs.)  The final score was 2-1 and there was once again the chance for an empty net goal (near the end of close games the team that’s losing will often pull their goalie so they have an extra attacking player) though this time Cornell couldn’t get the puck into the net.  They did, however, hit the post.  Twice, actually.  Once earlier in the game and once during the empty net opportunity.

The New England Revolution resigned Jose Goncalves, which has absolutely nothing to do with Cornell except that I’m a Revolution fan.  This is big because he was only with the Revolution on loan and people weren’t sure if they’d be able to work things out to get him back for next season.  Goncalves played every single minute of the Revolution’s 34 MLS regular season games and is now a finalist for both Defender of the Year and Newcomer of the Year.  So you could say he was kind of important to the Revolution’s first playoff run since 2009.  By the way, the New England Revolution play soccer.*

I rode the TCAT for the first time all semester.  TCAT is the bus system around Cornell/the surrounding area and freshmen get free bus passes while upperclassmen ride free after 6 pm on weekdays and all day on weekends.  I generally don’t ride the bus unless I’m leaving campus, and today was the first free Sunday I’ve had since classes started.  So a couple friends and I took off for the wild blue yonder, also known as Target.  We needed to stock up on food.

While we were there, I realized that I have very little idea of how much things usually cost in the real world.  I do in fact go grocery shopping when I’m home, but summer produce is different from winter produce, I don’t have the luxury of waiting for things to go on sale, and I don’t buy raw meat.  My purchases totaled exactly 20 dollars and I didn’t even use my calculator.  (Doesn’t everyone bring a calculator when they go shopping?)

*This is a personal thing for me.  Frequently when I mention the Revolution or MLS (Major League Soccer) people have no idea what I’m talking about.  On the other hand, if the Patriots win a pre-preseason friendly against an amateur league team from Alaska, they make front page news.