Garden Ecosystems – Experiment
- Try ecological landscaping—place plants/trees around your house in a way that helps to reduce heating and cooling costs.
- In a garden (or part of a garden), try holding as many variables constant and making different changes, observing effects.
- Try incorporating some (or more) native species and/or droughtresistant plant species into your garden design & record how they do.
- Try using rain barrels or grey water to water your gardens. Is there a way you can use the contours of the land or other aspects to help reduce the need to water certain areas?
- Make some different composting batches and observe the effect in the garden—note timing and quantity.
- Observe the effect of different mulches—note when and how much is applied.
- Experiment with different garden designs (ex. raised beds, raingardens—bowl shaped instead of mounded up) suited to your particular site or to help overcome certain obstacles.
- Move any plants that do not seem to be doing well.