The Olin Fire Safety Project is still on schedule. The 3rd and 4th floors remain under construction and closed. The 4th floor is scheduled to open on April 29 and the 3rd on May 10.
On Friday, April 15, we began relocating staff from the impending Phase 11 and 12 second floor construction zones. Ask at the Circulation/Reference Desk for information regarding all staff temporary locations. The following are the move dates for the second floor staff:
- Accounting (234)……………………………….………..Friday, April 15
- Assessment and Communications (215)…….……Friday, April 15
- Library Human Resources (235)…….………………Thursday, April 21
- Facilities (214)……………………………………………….Thursday, April 21
- Administration (213)……………………………………..Thursday, April 21
- Administration (201)……………………………………..Tuesday, April 26
The following are some other upcoming moves, closings, etc.:
- April 15: Software Development & Integration will move from 701 surge space to 107E and 107D.
- April 21: The staff lounge will close until the week of May 23. Microwaves, seating, and vending are available in the Uris Library Tower Lounge.
- April 25: The lactation room in the women’s rest room on the second floor will temporarily close until the week of June 23. See http://www.hr.cornell.edu/life/support/lactation.html for alternative locations.
April 15-28: In addition to moving staff on the above dates, movers will be taking a great deal furniture to storage throughout this period in advance of construction. The second floor phases entail a significant amount of asbestos abatement. Everything has to be removed from these spaces.
Please note that beginning on April 28 access to the staff located in the temporary surge space on the 2nd floor will be circuitous:
- Although both public elevators will be in operation at all times, only one will permit access to the second floor.
- While both stairways will be open to all floors, the second floor will not be accessible via the west stairway.
- The recommended access will be via the east stairway near the entrance to Kroch Library and across from the 106 suite.
- From May 6 until the week of June 23, access to the 2nd floor surge space will be through a tunnel from the elevator. Directional signs will be posted at key points, but don’t hesitate to ask for directions.
In preparation for the asbestos abatement that will be part of the upcoming 3rd and 4th floor phase 10 construction, the contractor will be taking air samples on those floors the morning of Thursday, February 24. Sampling on the east end (Stimson side) will last until approximately 11:30 am. The west end (Uris side) sampling should be completed earlier. Phase 10 is scheduled to begin on March 9, when the 4th floor will close. The 3rd floor will close on March 11.
The project will soon be entering the last construction phase for the first floor. Phase 9 construction (west end of 110, 111 and 101 offices, Periodical Room) will begin the week of February 7. In preparation, periodicals from the 101 Current Periodical Room were moved to the Willis Room in Uris Library on February 26. The following is the schedule for upcoming service and staff moves as well as events between January 31 and February 7.
- Monday, January 31 — Fire alarm test (approx. 8 – 8:30 am). All new alarms will sound, including those just installed on the first floor. There will be a warning in advance that it is a test. Do not evacuate the building.
- Monday, January 31 — Asbestos Abatement update, 703 Olin, 10:30-11:30 am
- Thursday, February 3 — Most staff currently in 2nd floor Olin surge space return to former 110/101E locations
- Friday, February 4 — Staff in 111 and 101 offices move to 2nd floor surge space
- Monday, February 7 — Staff in 110 Olin West temporarily move to 218 Olin and 107 Olin
- Monday, February 7 — Reference Reading Room, Printing, and 104/105 Reference service areas reopen
Specific locations for relocated staff will be available at the Olin Circulation and Reference desks.
The following is planned for the week of January 24:
- Wednesday, January 26 — Reference Desk across from the public computing area reopens
- Wednesday, January 26 – Current periodicals will be temporarily relocated to the Willis Room (directional signs will be posted) in preparation for upcoming construction in 101 offices
Highlights for week of January 17:
- Monday, January 17 — Café opens January 17.
- Monday, January 17 — 1st floor corridor on the west end (Uris end) to public elevators reopens.
- Monday, January 17 — Staircase to basement next to Café entrance reopens.
- Monday, January 17 – Friday, January 21 — An air handler will be shut down to accommodate the installation of a fire damper in the west Penthouse. Impact: noise from the Penthouse noticeable on the west end of the 7th floor, especially the first part of the week and possibly less ventilation/slightly cooler on the south and west parts the building floors 2 – 7.
- Friday, January 21 — Reopen main entrance/close temporary entrance.
“Off hours” work has been scheduled in preparation for the first floor construction phases that will begin at the end of exams. Starting at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, December 7, workers will construct a temporary entrance and ramp on the north side of the building in the reference reading room just to the east of the Café. This temporary entrance will be necessary in order to close the front entrance on December 17 to accommodate construction in that location of the building. Workers will also put up one of the first floor construction barriers at this time. Impacted reference collections have already been moved to the south wall proximate to the compact shelving in the basement.
Construction on the first floor will begin this coming Monday, November 15, in the 106 Olin/Uris Administration and Research and Learning office suite and classroom. In preparation, all staff currently located in 106 will move to one of the three Olin locations (107, 107A, 218/229, 701) Thursday, November 11 and Friday, November 12. Location information for a specific individual is available at the Circulation and Reference desks.
The contractor erected scaffolding in the stair 2 (east end/Stimson end) staircase at the 7th floor level in order to do some essential code related work. The goal is to complete the work and take down the scaffolding by the end Friday, November 12. Therefore, access to the 7th floor through Friday is only from the west end (Uris end) of the building either by stair 1 or the public elevator. However, stair 2 is available for emergency access at all times.
Friday, November 12, 8:00 – 10:00am – Fire Pump test
- Activity will be noticeable in the front of the building to the south of the front doors, in the area of odd looking fire hydrant (also known as the “Siamese” connection or “test header” for the sprinkler system).
- Cornell EH&S, City, Contractor & Cornell Project representatives will be present throughout the process.
- Hoses will be hooked up to the fire hydrant, the “test header”, and water will be discharged to confirm that the pump is operating correctly – many construction and Cornell staff will supervise this process.
- The emergency generator will come on during the test to confirm that the pump has been correctly wired to the generator. We have been assured that it will not affect power in Olin.
Tuesday, November 16, 8:00 – 8:30 am – Fire alarm test
- The new fire alarms on the 6th floor will be tested. This means that all of the other new fire alarms – sub basement, basement, second floor, 7th floor – will also sound. As installations in each phase are tested the horns that were installed in the previous phases will also sound.
- Before the test there will be an announcement of the imminent test. There will also be an announcement when the test is over.