Cornell Is…

"I would found a blog where any person can find information about any aspect of life at Cornell."

Cornell Is…

Who Am I?

August 28, 2011 · 2 Comments · Uncategorized

Before I really dig into blogging here, I think it’s only fair to give some background about who I am. I’m a firm believer that content is always more powerful when you know who it is that is writing it. However, since no one actually wants to read my life story (and if they do, they probably shouldn’t; it’s not that interesting folks!), I am going to try to list all of the things about myself that are relevant to you in an 18 component list. Why? Well, I’m 18 years old and an item a year seems reasonable, right?

Here goes:

1. I’m a Freshman, so I’m completely new to thing whole college thing. Honestly, I have no idea what I’m doing so I’m making it up as I go and I’m sharing it here with whoever feels compelled to read it.

2. As of now, I’ve only been at Cornell a week.

3. I’m an civil engineering student. I hear this is a mild form of masochism as I will be spending the next four years locked in the library trying to get through a ridiculous work load. I think it’s worth it.

4. Why am I a civil engineering student? Because there are WAY too many people in this world that don’t have access to clean drinking water. I want to help.

5. I’m a Christian. Yes, there are Christians at Cornell. A fair amount of them from what I’ve seen this week. I’m fairly certain you could find a community of people here of pretty much any religion you could possibly think of.

6. The fact that I’m a Christian is really what’s driving me to spend my life working for social justice.

7. I play clarinet in the wind symphony.

8. One of the reasons I picked Cornell engineering over other similarly ranked institutions actually had nothing to do with the engineering department: at many schools it seemed really difficult to play in a decent ensemble (if such an group even exists) if you’re an engineer, but the top ensembles at Cornell are open to everyone.

9. I really like acapella music. Needless to say, I was really excited when I got to campus and found out that acapella is huge here. I may or may not have spent a good portion of orientation week sitting listening to said acapella groups perform.

10. Sadly, I don’t sing. I guess I’ll just have to settle for listening.

11. I eat peanut butter on pretty much everything, including Swedish fish and cinnamon bears. (Okay, so maybe that one wasn’t relevant. But you should try it, it’s REALLY good.)

12. I’m from Baker City, Oregon. And no, it does not rain there. You’re thinking of the Willamette Valley. I’m from the other side of the state where there is nothing but cows and mountains.

13. I spent last summer in San Francisco. Though I grew up in the middle of nowhere and moved to Ithaca for college, I do know what a city is like.

14. I live in a single in Balch Hall. My room here is bigger than my room at home is.

15. I distance run close to barefoot. (Note that I made no mention of how fast I run these distances; I’ll go as far as you want as long as I don’t have to do it quickly.)

16. Fun fact: the Cornell campus is a great place to run if you can handle the hills. It’s beautiful.

17. Photography is my latest hobby. I’m sure I’ll be sharing some of the products of that soon.

18. I’m pretty excited to share my life on the hill with all of you (whoever you happens to be.) It’s going to be a great year!