Cornell Is…

"I would found a blog where any person can find information about any aspect of life at Cornell."

Cornell Is…

What Are RAs Really For?

August 28, 2011 · 3 Comments · Uncategorized

Tonight was just another typical Saturday night in the life of an engineering student — I was wandering the halls of Balch trying to find somewhere quiet to study. Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a bat out of hell came flying at my head!!! Okay, so maybe it was just an ordinary bat and maybe it wasn’t flying directly at my head, but it definitely was a large, black, winged creature flying in the hallway of a dorm building.

Pop quiz:

What did I do in this situation?

a) duck
b) scream like a small child
c) run away
d) all of the above

And the correct answer is (drum roll please) …. d! After I got done ducking, I screamed while running like mad away from the bat. Then I did what any sensible dorm resident would do: I went looking for the nearest RA to fix the problem.

You see, on move in day we were informed that we should call our RA with any questions or problems we may run into. They gave us examples of typical problems that are taken care of by RAs; these included things such as noise complaints, leaky shower heads, and roommate drama. But never would I have expect that the first real problem I needed to contact an RA about would be a bat. In the hallway of the dorm. What in the world would we do without RAs???

So what’s the moral of the story? Here’s what I came up with.

1. There is no such thing as a typical Saturday night in college.
  2. The quiet place to study is NOT the hallway that the bat is in.
  3. Don’t open the window that doesn’t have a screen on it.
  4. You really can call your RA about anything and she will do her best to fix it. And now we know that after all, what are RAs for if not to figure out how to get the bat out of the hallway?

• Elizabeth

Ha ha – I love this blog post. I am going to send it to my CivE friend who also lived in Balch when we were students. Keep up the blog; it’s fun to re-live the super-exciting freshman year vicariously through you! (PS – I wear Vibrams; is that how you run? Be sure to get off campus and enjoy the town & parks!)

• emj64@cornell.edu

Yeah I do wear Vibrams! I’m actually thinking of going off campus running this weekend; I hear there are some incredible trails.

• mac app cleaner

awful story!! it seems a bats there are a former students souls