Pot Holes

Ithaca gets a lot of snow. And lots of snow, means lots of pot holes. 

The city of Ithaca does a pretty good job of filling in these holes in the road, but some of them do go missed… Be careful! 

I hit a pot hole pretty hard and my tire totally blew. I mean absolutely blew. So, I had to change my tire, after work, in the dark. I luckily had my roommates to help me, because I was not at all knowledgable in the tire changing situation. 

So, here is a list of functional things I think you should learn before going off to school:

1. How to change a tire, specifically your own car’s tire, because it can be very different from another car

2. How to use your checkbook, write checks. We all get used to using cash or cards all the time, but using a checkbook is necessary for bills and rent often times.

3. How to do your taxes. Especially if you are going on to grad school. When it comes time to do your taxes, you want to have a general idea of what you are doing.

4. On the topic of money, how to set a budget. You don’t want to go into debt (beyond your student loans :P)… There are cool apps like Mint that help you set a budget. 

5. How to make your favorite dinners. Your mom may make the best pasta, but if you never paid attention to how she did it, you won’t be enjoying pasta for a while.

There are plenty of other things that you will figure out on the way when you go off to school, and you can’t possibly prepare for everything that will happen, but these are some things I feel are essential…