Cake Cake Cake

It’s my birthday! I am 23 today! I thought for today I should post a very appropriate cake recipe!

This cake recipe is one of my favorites. I am one of those bakers that likes to try something new every time I bake, so the fact that I have made this cake 3 times now, is proof in itself that it is a great cake.

This is a Dr. Pepper Cake. It is incredibly moist and chocolaty and delicious!

I adapted the recipe from the blog: Silver Boxes 

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 cup soy milk with 3 tsp of lemon juice (can use real milk too, I am just lactose intolerant)
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting:
1 cup butter, softened (I have used margarine and it came out fine, but it is definitely better with butter)
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
So, something I really liked about this blog post was she explained a trick to keep your cake from sticking to the pan. I’ll share it with you! Basically all you have to do is cut a wax circle the same size as your pan and spray the pan, put in the parchment paper in the pan, then spray and flour the parchment in the pan prior to pouring in your batter.
So, in this case you will be using two 9-inch round cake pans. Yes, you are getting fancy today and making a two-tier cake!
Ok so how do you make this cake?
1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
2. Pour the 1 cup of Dr. Pepper into a small saucepan and add in the chocolate chips. Stir on low heat until the chocolate chips are melted into the Dr. Pepper. After it is melted, take off  the heat and let cool.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk(with lemon juice), oil, and vanilla. Mix with electric mixer for about 2 mins or until smooth. Then slowly pour the slightly cooled Dr. Pepper/ chocolate mixture in and mix. (You don’t want the Dr. Pepper mixture to be too hot or else it can cook your eggs :P) 
4. Gradually add you flour mixture in to your liquid mixture while using the electric mixer. Mix until a smooth consistency. 
5. Pour the batter as equally as possible into the two parchment lined 9- inch pans. Cook for 30-35 min. Check your cake with a toothpick. If you stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake and it comes out clean, then the cake is ready and you can let it cool in the pan until you are able to touch it and flip it onto a cooling rack. 
6. So while the cake is baking, make the frosting! 
7. Beat the butter (or margarine) with a mixer until a smooth consistency. Add in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. When it start getting difficult to mix slowly add in the Dr. Pepper and Vanilla to aid in the mixing. Beat until fluffy. You want the frosting pretty thick, but not impossible to spread.
8. After your cake has cooled, put one layer on your cake plate. Spread with abut 1/3 of the frosting on the top. Place the second layer of cake on top of the frosted one. Then, spread the rest of the frosting all over the top and sides of the cake. If you do this while your cake is too warm, the frosting will melt off, so let is cool! 
9. Finally, I like to top mine off with a few mini chocolate chips, but you could put sprinkles, or write on in.
10. Enjoy!