Welcome…to Cornell

1095036_10153116498285643_526630982_n

Hello all and Welcome to The Gorges PhD

This is a Cornell Life on the Hill Blog and I am a new blogger! 

My name is Elizabeth and I am a 2nd year PhD student in the Genetics, Genomics and Development field. I am in the Cohen Lab, which is an amazing lab located in the Cornell Vet Tower.

Prior to coming to Cornell, I was an undergrad at New College of Florida, which is a small public liberal arts college with only 800 students (so big size difference). My concentration was in Biology. 

If any readers out there are thinking about moving to NY from another state, I say do it! New York has beautiful wildlife and amazing schools. Don’t get me wrong; Florida was beautiful but I can always go back down south later in life, NY is a truly great place to go to school. 

Yes, Ithaca is a little isolated, but I wouldn’t say it is a bad kind of isolated. It has a unique small town feel to it and is surrounded by miles or farmland and small towns. Also, if you ever get stir crazy and want to be somewhere more populated, Syracuse is only an hour away will all your mall and outlet mall needs or NYC is a 4 hour drive or bus ride. (BTW, Cornell has a campus-to-campus shuttle between Ithaca and NYC, although it is a little pricey its great, safe option for traveling to the city: heres the link:  http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/coach/). 

But don’t take my word for it, come see for yourself! I say one of the most important things in choosing a school is getting a feel for the environment, which includes the city, people, and campus. Feeling safe and happy during your schooling is super important, because then you can spend all your time concentrating on what really matters, your education! 

Well, welcome to the blog, feel free to subscribe and ask questions! I look forward to hearing from you! 

<3 Elizabeth