Hej! I have been in Copenhagen for three weeks and I’m already starting to realize how easy it is to call this place home. While it’s been a crazy and packed few weeks, let me start from the beginning.

The packing process was not the easiest, but I decided to bite the bullet and check two suitcases—a decision that I have by now realized paid off. I’m trying not to buy too much here but I have decided to buy one pin from each place I visit. At the end, I’m going to pin them to a piece of fabric and hang it on my wall to remember everything I’ve done this semester!

My program is called DIS, and we have a ‘core course,’ which is a subject that you dedicate the most time to. It allows you to really go in-depth with the subject. Although I’m in the Hotel School at Cornell, my interest in design led me to choosing Graphic Design Studio as my core course. I also am taking primarily design-related courses, and having to access a different style of learning has been incredibly exciting.

Class field trips include visiting Scandinavian design stores

I have not left my Hotelie life completely behind, as I’m living in a Culinary Living & Learning Community, which is a house that hosts different culinary-related events each week. This week, we made a traditional Danish dish—savory tarts!

The person who organizes our house events, Linn, is a full-time food blogger and recipe developer!

And what would a European abroad experience be without some excursions? Last weekend, I went with some friends to Bornholm, a Danish island between Sweden and Poland. Although many people who study abroad in Europe tend to travel only to the biggest cities, it was so interesting traveling to a place that is primarily European tourists looking for an island getaway (we compared it to Cape Cod, but a lot more charming). We biked at least 25 miles the first day to get to a rustic cabin where we made a bonfire and visited the nearby town. We spent our weekend eating ice cream, biking around town, and admiring the architecture and colors.

While it’s easy to talk about only the best experiences, it wouldn’t be a full picture without also discussing some of the challenges. Adjustments have been easier since mostly everyone from Denmark speaks fluent English, but little slip-ups are dramatized since I’m in a completely new place with people I’ve only known a few weeks. To give you a hint of my mistakes: holding up a bus full of locals as we navigated Bornholm transportation, getting a nose bleed in the middle of a supermarket, and visiting the bike rental shop three times before I could get a bike that was small enough for me.

I can’t wait to highlight the most exciting parts of my semester here, and share some photos and stories of what my life in Denmark is like.

Save

Save