The Final Stretch of my College Career

As I write this, I’m sitting here in Mann Lobby, relaxing after walking around the campus for a bit. It’s absolutely beautiful out–just in time for the prospective students to get a distorted perception of Ithaca’s weather. I’m realizing that this year, and my college experience, is slowly winding down. To be frank, this is nuts. I can’t believe that it’s almost over!

Here are a few thoughts that’ve been on my mind:

1. Perspectives are a funny thing. Remember your first day of high school, when you were nervous about how much bigger everyone seemed than you? Or, [if you’re touring college campuses,] remember agquad03what it felt like when you realized everyone on a campus was so grown up? I can’t believe I once felt that college students were so old…because when I look around campus, all I see is a population of undergraduates, roughly 75% of which are younger than me. I just want to yell at these darn youngin’s to get off my lawn (okay, maybe I don’t feel that old).

2. I can’t mess up all these “end of college” tasks and decisions. You may think I’m crazy, but I actually have a lot stuff to do. Examples? CALS post-graduate surveys. Get a cap and gown. Decide on a yearbook. Look at diploma frames and rings. Coordinate graduation weekend. Plan my Senior Days schedule. On a related note, I have no idea if people really get class rings…

3. Update on academics: As much fun as it’d be to write that I’m taking it easy, it  wouldn’t be like me to slack off–especially given the fact that I’ve worked hard for 7 semesters and want to end strong. I’ve been busy IMG_6746with problem sets, papers, projects, etc…but I can’t complain too much. My schedule this semester isn’t too stressful.

4. The “wow” factor on this campus never goes away. You’d think that almost as an alum, I’d get used to seeing the sights around the campus…but a lot of the views still amaze me. Case in point: walking around the footbridge area behind MVR and seeing the waterfalls under sunny blue skies…I couldn’t help but stop and gaze at it.

That’s about it for now…congrats to all the newly admitted students!