Candid at Cornell

One Big Red Adventure in Ithaca

Candid at Cornell

So What Have I Been Up to in D.C.? (The Picture Edition)

November 15, 2013 · 3 Comments · Uncategorized

As the semester’s slowly winding down (wow…this term really has gone faster than all the rest), I realized I haven’t shared too many pictures from my experiences in the Cornell in Washington program! So, without further ado, let me take you on a sporadic tour of random events that I’ve attended throughout the semester.

Let’s start off with what was arguably the coolest event: meeting Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg! Every semester, students in the Cornell in Washington (CIW) program get to meet with her at the Supreme Court, first listening to her speak then asking her questions. It was really awe-inspiring to be sitting in a majestic building, hearing from one of the brightest, and most highly-regarded legal minds in the Western democracy–not to mention, a Cornell alum.

One qualm: we shared a meet-and-greet session with American University and Washington University, and the event was scheduled from 3-4pm. Because this was what many CIW students had been looking forward to all semester, we got there early-about 2:45ish. However, WashU didn’t show up until 3:30, and Justice Ginsburg’s staff told us she would only come in once everyone was there. So…because one group of WashU kids were late, the event that we all had looked forward to for a while was 50% shorter.

Anyways, here’s a picture of the entire Cornell in Washington group with her:

…and me outside the Supreme Court:

At CIW, because it’s a relatively small program (40-50 kids), someone’s birthday always makes it a good excuse to have group dinners/ice cream events:

Earlier in the semester, we went on a comprehensive tour of DC, where we stopped at the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial:

Walking by this most days on my lunch break from Treasury doesn’t get old:

Then there was the time in mid-October when my Netflix addiction made the front page of the Sun during the government shutdown:

Experiencing some of D.C., and  Dupont Circle’s, interesting array of food has been a plus as well. (no, I don’t always take pictures of food…I had this blog in mind while doing so for these). On top: a huge Italian sub from Taylor Gourmet; bottom left: a fancy chocolate cupcake; bottom right: Thai Coconut Milk gelato. They were all delicious!

And lastly, and perhaps most recently…I’ve been working on my 50 page research paper on business lobbying. It’s allowed me to gain some familiarity with regression software. Unfortunately, for those statistically inclined, my r squared value  for this linear model hadn’t been as high as I had hoped (around .1):

So…yeah! That’s what I’ve been up to. Let me know if you have any questions about the program. Though this semester has been a unique experience, I gotta say, I’m really looking forward to getting back to Ithaca!