D.C. Update

This is an interesting semester to be a “Life on the Hill” blogger for Cornell.edu. Because most of the people reading these blogs are prospective Cornellians, who I’m guessing would care more to hear about life in Ithaca, I kind of feel obliged to discuss habits/feelings/thoughts from my first 3 years at Cornell. But, another part of me feels that participating in one of Cornell’s most prominent off-campus programs merits abundant attention, too…so, I’ll continue to strive for a happy balance. Let me know, as always, what you want to hear more of, or if you have any questions about Cornell or the Cornell in Washington program!

So, what have I been up to in D.C.?

• My internship is going well–but because I intern 3.5 days a week, and still juggle a full Cornell course load with classes at night and in the morning, I’m very busy. 
  • The senior year job hunt is at its peak; while I’m not on campus, figuring out what I’m going to be doing next year is undoubtedly on my mind. I definitely want to enter the workforce, though. No grad school for me, at least right off the bat. (Maybe a nighttime MBA or something, a few years down the line?)
  • D.C. weather, on the whole, is sunnier, drier, and warmer than Ithaca weather. This results in a noticeable difference in my mood; I’m much happier walking outside. (I think this means I shouldn’t go job hunting in Alaska.)
  • A major part of the Cornell in Washington program is writing a substantial research paper–so that’s why I’m immersing myself in business-government relations research as I’m sitting in this Dupont Circle Panera Bread on a Saturday morning.
  • It’s so much easier to get around here, compared to Ithaca! The metro, while not as comprehensive as the NYC subway system, is convenient, and everything you could ever need is a metro ride away. Traveling from here is a breeze too, with a couple of airports nearby and proximity to an Amtrak station.
  • Anecdote: So I’m walking back from my internship the other day, and see the roads blocked off, with a ton of cop cars and motorcycles all around me. I’m wondering what all the hubbub is…then I see a parade of black Escalades, then this:

Yes, I was 10 feet from the Presidential state car. I was…kinda shocked by that one, but that’s a #DC experience, for sure. (Somebody reading this just cringed at my hashtag.)

So…yes; life is going well, though I miss Ithaca. I can’t believe how fast this semester is going!

One thought on “D.C. Update

1. Pingback: D.C. Update | CIW