Last-minute Doubts about a Semester Away?

I’ve been really excited to participate in the Cornell in Washington program¬†for a while now! My living arrangements at the Cornell Center in Dupont Circle are all set, and my internship is solidified–I will be working at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, in the Office of Economic Policy.

When I realized I wanted to do the D.C. program about 2 semesters ago, and that it was feasible with proper scheduling, I proactively planned my schedule and fit in as many courses as I could each semester (about 5-6 classes a term). Now, as the days count down until my arrival in the nation’s capital, I’m excited to begin…but am also wondering if I’m going to miss spending the first half of my senior year at Cornell.

In numerous econ classes I’ve taken, the concept of opportunity costs is usually presented–namely, it’s the value of what you give up by making an alternative decision. In this case, as the emails flood in about the fun lectures, club activities, and social events I won’t be able to attend in Ithaca, I’m wondering just how high the opportunity cost of my fall 2013 semester in D.C. will be.

Okay, I know that I’m probably just letting my mind wander too much. Everyone I know that has participated in the program has absolutely loved it, and from what I’m told, it’s not rare by any means for first-semester seniors to participate. Plus, I have an internship that I’m excited about, and am getting ready to enjoy another round of big city living.

I can’t imagine that what I’m feeling¬†hasn’t been felt by anyone that’s spent a semester abroad or away from school, so there’s gotta be some solace in that, right?

3 thoughts on “Last-minute Doubts about a Semester Away?

1. Laura

First off (I know you’ve gotten this a lot) but your blog is awesome! I really enjoy your candid style of writing and, of course, insight into life as a “Cornellian.”

On the “Last-minute doubts” I went through the same thing before I went to study in China–I was really nervous about what I would be missing out on back home, but in hindsight it turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made! All that to say, I don’t think you’ll regret your decision. Also, I just moved to Maryland and visit DC regularly and I absolutely love the city! It has a very fresh and open aura, and since it’s a big city there is always tons to do. Enjoy the ride and best of luck!

2. Pingback: The Cornell in Washington Experience: “You’re Studying ‘Abroad’….Where?” | Candid at Cornell