The moment when it all sunk in

Here’s a brief update on my life: I’ve been loving NYC and living in Union Square, am hard at work at my internship, and am definitely enjoying the sunshine and lack of exams. (The crowded and scorching hot New York City subway stations, on the other hand, I’m not a fan of.)

I haven’t had anything too crazy to report that’s relevant to my Cornell blogging duties…well, except for one story. A week or two ago at a happy hour, I was mid-conversation with someone when I experienced one of those moments where time seems to freeze, a lightbulb goes off,  and you’re confronted with reality.

The conversation went something like this:

“So, you like school?”

–Yeah, it’s great.

“You’re having a nice summer in Manhattan?”

–Yeah, I definitely am.

“And you’re going to be a senior at Cornell this year, right?”

Suddenly, I paused. Time stood still for a brief moment, and I thought to myself, “Whoa. Stop.” (As blogging alum Cullen once wrote, “Hold the phone.”)

I’m not sure why I found this exact moment that significant, and why it still resonates in my mind. I mean, I obviously have known for a while that senior year would the logical progression after junior year, and it totally makes sense that, with 6 semesters down, it’s finally time to be called a senior.

But it was something about the way the question was posed to me, and the way “senior” was stated, that implied that I should have some idea of my future plans–what city I’d be in post-graduation, what job I’d have, how I’d be living, what my professional goals are, etc. I’m just not certain about that yet.

I’m still on a Cornell meal plan because I can’t cook anything but popcorn and ramen (which, don’t worry, I can still manage to screw up). I still am fascinated by all my aspects of my business courses, and can’t say with certainty which area I’d like to be in for the rest of my life. And, after 16 years of formal education, I find it hard to imagine a time when I won’t have summer, winter, or spring breaks. Laundry is also an art that, while I’ve practiced, still has yet to be 100% mastered. To put it simply: I can’t believe I’m growing up.

I’ll be a senior?? Really? I guess you should stay tuned for Candid at Cornell, round IV. This will be interesting…

2 thoughts on “The moment when it all sunk in

1. Chace

Totally live your last year!
    When it’s done and gone all you can do is look back at your college years. This is the beginning of the end.

2. My Accounting Course

I agree with Chase. Live your last year to the fullest. Have fun, but most importantly make good choices. Your last year is important because it will be the last time in your life that you can live the college lifestyle. It also sets the pace for the rest of your life. Good luck!