Catching Up with Things

Okay, I’m sorry about my absence! It’s been a while, but this month has been so hectic—wrapping up 6 courses, making unexpected trips home, and committing to the extracurriculars I’ve taken on this semester. As my semester is finishing up, though, I’ve realized  that the busier I am, the happier I am as well. (At least, that’s what I’m telling myself to prep for the two winter break classes I’ve signed up for.)

Here are a few assorted notes from my life these last few weeks:

• In the last month,  a sad family emergency situation occurred, which required me to immediately cancel my plans for the week, return back to Connecticut, and spend time with my family. While the circumstances were upsetting, bonding with the people close to me allowed me to slowly recover emotionally and break out of the Cornell bubble. For example, while the difference between a B+ and an A- might seem huge at a pressure-cooker like Cornell, all you need is one event to put everything in perspective and make you realize what’s important in life. I’m also thankful that during this time, my team on a marketing project was totally accommodating and understanding of my situation—even though I could not be there in person to fully assemble/present our final project.
  • I was re-elected VP of Administration of my business fraternity, which I’m thrilled about because I enjoy doing the work for the position, and it’s a great group of people.
  • I recently found out that I’ve been accepted to be a teaching assistant for an introductory business course that I took last year! I love teaching, as my senior year of high school I spent 50 minutes a day being a TA as well. Holding office hours, grading papers, and doing administrative work –for undergraduates—may seem daunting, but I’m up to the task and excited for it next semester.
  • If you’ve ever wanted to see what a statistics lecture hall looks like 10 minutes before class at 9:05 am on the Wednesday of Thanksgiving break, after much of the campus has departed, here you go:

Okay, a few people started filling in shortly after class started…but it was still pretty empty (or ‘cozy,’ as the professor called it).

• One way I’ve realized Cornell makes you stronger: Car trips to anywhere but Ithaca just seem a lot shorter. As going from Connecticut to Ithaca takes a good 4.5 to 5 hours, I’ve quickly adjusted to that length (due to the frequent trips I’ve made to and from home recently). So, for example, driving into Manhattan feels like nothing when you compare it to Cornell. I’m feeling this one especially right now since I’m writing this after coming off of a 6 hour bus ride–because the driver made a wrong turn.
That’s about it for now. I have one more week of classes, then finals! I’ll report in again soon.