Candid at Cornell

One Big Red Adventure in Ithaca

Candid at Cornell

Candid at Cornell Presents: The COMPLAINT Edition

September 16, 2011 · 3 Comments · Uncategorized

There is a problem I must address with this blog–now.

Let’s face it, folks: I’m too happy-go-lucky. If you’ve been reading my posts for a while, you know that I’ve been carrying a very positive tone. (Cases in point: the “Day in the Life of a Cornell Student” comic, and the “What Every Freshman Should Know” post). Simply put, I need to complain more. Thus, I present to you:

UntitledSo, in this post I’m going to let it all out. Be prepared, things might get a little nasty. And no, I’m not talking about Nastie’s over at RPCC.

1. WHY IS MY 10:10 AM CLASS IN CANADA?!

Okay, it might not actually be in Canada, but it’s still a humongous walk to the Vet School from West Campus every Tuesday and Thursday. It’s at least 30-40 minutes, while carrying a full backpack and walking up the mountain that is Libe Slope. I’m sure it will be even more awesome once the temperature drops and it starts snowing in two weeks. It’s a good thing I love the class, though (Communication and Technology, which actually talks about blogs). Take a look at this picture for proof (but click it for a bigger size, because the distance in the small picture doesn’t look that bad).

www.cornell.edu_img_maps_large_search.pdf

The vet school is SUCH a long walk; every time that I near the end of my odyssey and arrive in Morrison–after climbing up Libe slope, trekkingcastaway-tom-hanks past the ILR school and passing the athletic fields at a time when many are still sleeping–I feel all weathered and exhausted, like Tom Hanks in Cast Away upon reaching land and interacting with society again. And yes, my beard grows that fast.

2. WHY CAN’T I HAVE AN APPLIED ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT MINOR?!

Dear Cornell,

I get it. Arts and Sciences and Ag. and Life Sciences are two different entities, sure. But, come on. You let other CALS students have an AEM minor. You let engineers have an AEM minor. You even allow Arts and Sciences students majoring in life sciences to have one. So please, why won’t you let this humble (probable) economics major have a business minor? Instead, I have to just take a random spread of Marketing/Finance/Management courses and clump them onto my resume–it’s fine but not official. Please fix this?

Your humble blogger,

David

3. CAN WE TALK ABOUT MASCOTS?!

Here’s a conversation I have with many non-Cornellian friends and family:

Untitled-4

This confusion is absolutely killing me. Don’t get me wrong, I love the color red, but I’m thinking if we were universally known as the “Big Red Bears” instead of a brand of gum, it’d be easier to tell people.

4. IT’S MID-SEPTEMBER, SO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS…WINTER HAS ALMOST ARRIVED IN ITHACA!

Okay, that’s a huge exaggeration. It doesn’t really start snowing until later on in the year (I remember seeing snowflakes before Halloween last year), but the fact of the matter is that Ithaca is chilly for most of the academicwinter year. Today, as I rolled out of bed and walked out the door of the Alice Cook house, I immediately regretted my clothing decision of shorts and a t-shirt as I was freezing…and I realized that this signaled the start of the cold season. I can’t wait until I get to trek up Libe Slope in sub-freezing temperatures in the early hours of the morning, that’s for sure. Okay, fine…here’s the optimistic me kicking in: At least when it’s absurdly cold out, you have no excuse/distraction from studying. Nobody’s going to be knocking on your door asking if you want to play frisbee in February, nor will there be people tanning on the Arts quad. So I guess that’s a plus, right?

5. SO MANY THINGS TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME!

There are so many amazing opportunities at Cornell, but I’ve found that I often just don’t have time to see/do everything that I want to accomplish because of my workload. Here’s my dilemma regarding this weekend:

balance scale.jpg (250×296)-1…so what am I to do? Suggestions, anyone?

• ECE4Lyfe

Refute:
    You picked this class. You knew you were living on west. Your fault. Look on the bright side, calves like a God. Not one of those wimpy egyptian ones, but ones like Zeus, with massive muscles. In fact, everything you complained about, you already knew. Now that it’s sophomore year, the magic is gone.

You want something to complain about? Go to class in January in flip flops and a tshirt. Awful idea, but so worth it.
    Or take an engineering course load. Go to a computer lab and see how many people stay up all night. (some are playing games, but disregard them).
    Now I need some sleep and to go to class.

• FastWalker26

David, according to Google Maps (see link below), your walk from the Alice Cook House to Morrison Hall is 1.1 miles, a 26-minute walk. Google estimates this time on a walking pace of 3mph. This being the case, from the data which you have provided in your post, I have determined that your walking pace is anywhere between 4 and 14 minutes below the Google average.

http://g.co/maps/mhstv

I have also included a link to a website with tips for walking faster:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/howtowalk.html

• Phoebe

That’s quite a walk. My friend who has a class in the vet school always takes the car. I think the farthest I had to go for a morning class was West -> MVR, and I thought that was tough.